Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1975 hobie cat 16
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, hopefully I can get some quick responses on this.

I am looking for any info and thoughts on this year of the H16... I have found one on ebay and it also happens to be in my local area, but the auction is over in 12 hrs.... At the moment the starting bid is $500 with zero bids....... attached is the info

Item number: 2491190159
I Bought this boat in May. I've put on a new mesh tramp and put on all new lines. The hulls have been pached and repainted by previous owner. I've never had any problem with them and there has never been any water in them after a hard sail. The boat comes with fully equiped and ready to sail. Included are trapeze and harness. This boat is now Housed at Chatfeild Rez. in Denver Colorado. Boat must be picked up will not be delivered. If buyer lives in Denver area arangements to turn over dry dock lease can be made.

This is a great boat and fun to sail. The reason I'm selling is I can't launch it myself. Only one sailer to sail it but two needed to launch it. At least for me. If you live somewhere where you can beach it or if you have better skills with a trailer and rigging than I do than this is your boat.

This 16 is fast! When I have decent wind I fly past other hobies and sail boats.

If you want more info please feel free to contact me. If you have a Getaway and are looking for a faster competive boat a trade may be possible.

Thanks
Junior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Seems like a good deal, especially with a new tramp and lines. More pictures would be nice, but if it seems in good shape then I'd say go for it; at that price it'd be a good starter boat. When you get good with it you could sell it and move up to a newer boat. :)

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject: pictures
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yea, I'm not sure if you looked at it on e-bay or not. There is only one picture even there, and I wasn't sure how to post that picture here....

Thanks for your input

Junior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, I looked at it on ebay. That's why I said "it'd be nice to see more pictures of it. ;)

Jim

Post subject: ......
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I tried to get them to respond to some questions, mainly if there were any soft spots on the hulls and what the condition of the sails were. The response said that it was a good sailing boat and that it was also her first boat. So she didn't really answer the questions....

I would have been willing to take a chance but me lil' ol wife needed more...

Now we'll wait and see if it sells on ebay (2hrs left w/ no bids) and if not we'll contact em if it doesn't to go look at it.....

Do you have suggestions on what to look for when physically inspecting one of these H16's

Jaime, Thanks for taking the time..... I really appreciate it

Junior

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you go to inspect the boat, just push firmly (but not REAL hard) on the sides and tops of the hulls. "Soft spots" would be obvious. If you feel any just try to get an idea of how big they are. If they're huge then you might want to skip it, but if they're under maybe 18" or so (and you're somewhat handy) then you might be able to talk the price down and then repair it. Else check the condition of the rest of the boat (sails, etc) and if you can talk her down further, part it out, and make a profit. Up to you. Even *with* "soft spots," unless they're huge and you're sailing the boat to its limits, it probably won't be a problem. So either way I'd probably say it's a good starting boat, but there are people here with far more experience than I who would certainly be able to advise you better. Good luck!

Jim