Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I have seen a couple of pictures of Hobie 16s now, which have a tent mounted on their trampoline to sleep in. This would be just the thing to take on a sailing trip, but I have not been able to figure out where to buy one or who makes these. Any ideas?

Thx!

Post subject: I'd like to see that
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you provide photos or links? I would love to see that. My brother in law has a Mariner 19 that he sails to Martha's Vineyard and Block Island with a friend or two and he camps out in it (yes he is nuts, but isn't everybody's brother in law? :lol:) He had a canvas shop design a tented cover that uses his boom as a ridgepole for the tent. It is awesome. It ties down around the gunwalesmade to cover the cockpit. Two people can sleep on the cockpit seats under it. Soo, I'm thinking maybe a canvas shop or sailmaker could come up with something for you.

We camped on our H16 a few times (before kids :roll: ) . I used the sail as a "pup-tent". All I did was connect the main halyard to the far end of my boom, pull the boom up and then I flaked the mainsail from side rail to side rail over the boom. It was cozy and kept the dew off, but not the mosquitos.

good luck and happy sails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

the best sleep i have ever had on sailing trips has been on the tramp of a hobie, i start out just laying on the tramp with the sails rolled up next to me and somehow wind up using the sails as sheets during the night, as long as there is a little breeze its not too bad.

Post subject: camping on a 16
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A small dome tent pops right onto the tramp. They fold up small, are cheap to buy and they keep the mosquitoes out. We camped on an island in the keys using this method and it worked quite well.

cheers
Bill