Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Squeak
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings fellow Hobie Enthusiasts,

I own a 1979 Hobie 16 that has been restored and looks great. She sails well too. However, I'm starting to get a squeak in the right front hull when someone over 100 lbs sits there and we cross a wave. I keep looking to try and find the cause of the squeak -- cracks in the hull, loos bolt, etc., but I can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to be ripping along at 15 knots and have the hull separate from the tramp.

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject: Re: Hull Squeak
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have a 1979 Hobie 16 that I restored my self

you say it is coming from the hull its self, this sounds odd to me. I get a noise when i get up to speed some times but this is because my rudders were not perfectly inline like with each other. I think it could be where the tramp bars meet the hull, this area has a nylon nut that attaches to a bolt and may need to be tightened, the area where the bar meets the fiber glass of the hull, this area can leak and could have some play. this area is commonly caulked to keep from leaking.

If the bars that hold the hull in place are bent this could cause the hull to want to go in a different direction than the other one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,
I also have a 79 H16 and have noticed the side rails loose at the corner casting, could this be the sorce of your squeek? I have heard of people glueing or welding the rails to the corner castings. I've been thinking about doing the weld thing just to stiffen up the old girl!
-Mike-
sail# 43458

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Squeak maybe a result of the pylon being loose in the casting.

The link below will provide you with some valuable information regarding worn castings and the repair.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/Article82.html

Please note that the side rails should not be epoxied and should “float” to allow for expansion/contraction and deflection from tightening the tramp. You might be able to just tighten the tramp and remedy your problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, this has been some great information. I really appreciate the help. I'll keep you informed on my progress.

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is there a 25 year old Hobie 16 that doesn't squeak and creak? I've owned two and sail on two or three others and they all do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When ever I have had a boat with a loose pylon /corner casting I shim the connection with cut beer cans to take up the extra slack. Also be sure to tighten your trampoline quite taught, to allow the boat to be held together better and sail faster.

Ben

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

benskiing wrote:
When ever I have had a boat with a loose pylon /corner casting I shim the connection with cut beer cans to take up the extra slack. Also be sure to tighten your trampoline quite taught, to allow the boat to be held together better and sail faster.

Ben
I tried beer cans but the metal was too thin and curved (hard to work with). A better choice I found was aluminum flashing I got at Lowes. You can buy little individual squares or a small roll in the roofing section.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a new 2009 hobie 16 last fall and the corner posts have creaked from the first time I put it in the water. I posted this question after my first sail and was told it is just the nature of the beast. I don't even notice it anymore.