Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIGGING
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have some kinks and corrosion in my bridles and am goning to replace them. Will I need to replace my shrouds? I have inspected them and are in good working order at least for next season. Was there a length change with the newer cats? Don't want to risk the bridle wires.

Demasting :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks,
Todd C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is no risk for the bridle wires - especially if you continue using the existing shrouds.
I think the new shrouds are 2 inches shorter than the old ones to allow for more mast rake. In order to accommodate that mast rake your pig stay or your forestay needs to be longer as well. There are a variety of ways to "extend" the forestay. Most common seems to be the utilization of an additional chain plate attached to the existing one. I decided to pop the extra chain plate between pig stay and halyard pulley. I thought it would move my jib further away from the mast and the halyard on which it hung up on quiet a lot at that time.

Patrick

Post subject: NO risk?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

NO risk?

Just to clearify...

Any wires that get kinked are at risk of failing. Look for broken strands at the swedge fittings. These would fail most commonly.

Bridles are virtually the same as ever. Forestays got longer and shrouds got shorter over the years.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info I will wait unless, I get active racing. Still need a comptip mast upgrade and a set of Hobie sails. I belive everything else is set up for the Hobie 16 one design class.

Are there any open regattas for us non class conformists? :roll: Like a B- or C fleet. :D

Todd C

Post subject: Non-CompTip?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Non-CompTip?

Most all fleets will allow partisipation without a CompTip, at least for a limited time. Non-Hobie Class events have no rule about masts.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:41 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

According to the Hobie Class Rules, you're allowed 1 "exemption" from the CompTip requirement at a regatta - after that, you need to get your CompTip.

In reality, nobody's probably going to hassle you if your bringing up the rear in B or C fleet. Once you start doing well, though - you'd better get your mast done. After that 1 exemption, you'd be subject to protest (if somebody wanted to go through the process) and you'd have no defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Todd...

While you are inspecting your standing rigging, don't forget to inspect the attachment points in addition to what Matt suggested. I dismasted once due to a corosion related failure on my leeward bow tang (the attachment that holds the bridle wire to your hull). There is a crimp where the loop that holds the bridle wire comes back flat against the back side. That angle got some corosion in it and failed on me. It wasn't in a race, just having some fun in some really good winds.

Some people say to replace standing rigging every couple of years, without question. I think that depends really on whether you keep the boat set up, its overall exposure to weather, and how much salt related corosion you might get. I do it every 3 years or so and keep my old ones as backups. Racing has little to do with it.

Either way...don't forget that the standing rigging isn't just limited to your wires. Bummer of a way to end your day :(

Have a great new year!

Drej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks I have looked at them and they will be replaced for next season. One of those constant pre sail check list things to look at, and peace of mind. I was crewing for a friend on a G-cat a few years back in a hurry didn't want to miss a breath of air we demasted in 25 mph gusts to 30 its amasing how fast a boat drifts in strong wind. We were saved by are lake patrol nice guys to have around when you truly need help 8) The pre sail check list would of saved us alot of :oops: no more sailing that day :cry: :cry: .

Todd