Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a title
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you read my post "Nightmare in texas" then you know whats going on... if not... I have 4 hulls and 3 hull numbers... and 0 titles... In Texas you have to have a title to register a boat. I have built my boat and now want to paint it, it is ready to go, but I cannot register it becasue I have no title... So I am asking all of you, any or you that have, or know of somebody that has a wasted hobie with a title, that I can buy the serial number and title from you? When I paint my boat I will etch the new serial numbers in the back of both hulls and go register it with the title... If anybody knows of somebody that has thrown away hobie hulls and still has a title that would be great. please let me know by posting a reply here... Thank You all for your support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOBODY KNOWS OF AN OLD HOBIE ROTTING SOMEWHERE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a guy parting A H-16 on e-bay right now. You may want to message him and ask. :idea: Who knows? I did ask my father about the title on The catalia 22. He did have a old registration and sweet talked from there. I'm pretty sure he was very presistant with them I know he wasn't happy when I brought up Texas parks and recreation :evil:

good sails

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

he is in Florida and does not have a title for it becasue it is not required there....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have'nt already I would start with a letter to your rec/parks director in Texas. After all you are just attempting to stay legal and pay what is due the state. (No Threats) If there is no reply go to your congresman, state what attemps have been made with no avail if that doesn't work goto your your Senetor's enclose a letter stating there was no resopnse from or who has responded negatively enclose copies of letters to everyone you have written as you go up the chain. ie letter to congresman DEED enclose copy to parks/rec director of Texas and so on,,, once you have contacted you can do this all the way up to Our President from Texas GWB
It is amasing how the doors fly open when someone talks to there boss.

Good Luck its worth the fight. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm,.... congresman, senetor, and the president - the guy wants to sail the thing at the beginning of march (of this year).
I try to keep my eys open for some junk boat with valid title.
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey I'm with the quick Fix. Take it sailing and Call it a H-14 If any one asks. :idea: While you are waiting for a title. :?:

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yup.... i'll peel the 16 off the sail and sail it...
and if I get caught.. i figure i have at least one time it would work without a ticket... but then I would have to register it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You can peel the sticker if you want. I would go through the red tape at least start it. Slap a 14 up there if you want to go that route. I know its PINA Its worth the fight, are you willing to pay for a part boat, for a title if, so how much? I Know of a H 16 He told me it has a title. Needs a Solid work over very weathered. 1981 Port hull ???? I know its been in the weather for three years It does have a comp tip mast That I would like, He tried to sell it to me for $900 droped to $ 700 quickly Let me know or E-mail me and I'll go talk to him. :?:

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

he can cut it up and through it in the neerest dumpster for all I care... I just want to buy a title... a hundred bucks I would pay for one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have done this before with boats and trailers. You need to find someone in a state that doesn't require titles on boats under 18 feet to write you a bill of sale. Have him get it notarized in his state. Then, you take that into your governing authority and they should issue you a title.

For more info, you can contact me at: [email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm... After Dan mentioned it I remembered that I used the services of a company in New Hampshire to have a TX title issued for a vehicle. At the time the state of New Hampshire did not require to have titles for vehicles over a certain age (something like 15 or 20 years). The process works like this... You sell the vehicle to this "service provider" they register the vehicle in that state and resell it to you after a couple of days including a bill of sale and a statement that the state does not issue a title due to the age of the vehicle. I spend something like $190.00 for the whole deal and the state of TX issued a TX title with the proper vin #. No questions asked. That was in 2000 and it was not a boat, but I remember they offered this process for boats and trailers as well. I heard that the state of Alabama and may be Florida have rules and regulations in context with not titling vehicles with a certain age. The good thing about the whole deal is it might be legal... or at least it is not illegal enough to get you in trouble.

Patrick

Post subject: Title in any state??
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What do you do when you have a home made boat. Call it that, say it is from many boats and there ya go.

Good Sailing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

its not that.. they want bill of sale of the hulls... or a cost of the material to make the hulls and they want to see a molding

Post subject: Needs a Title in Texas
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How important is it to title your cat? If the are telling you that you cannot register it due to the fact it never had a title or was registered before, then they have let you off the hook.

It's a funny story for local TV station to do one of their "On your side" expose'.

Just a thought.

For me here in Florida, I have a unusual situation in which I had the Hobie Dealer replace the hulls on my Getaway with the correct year hulls as purchased and they have two different serial numbers on them now and I am just using the the starboard one for titling purposes, but I did have to get the Manufactureres paperwork and the original title from the old hull numbers. These things happen, so be patient, but be careful your not messing with stolen items. I wouldn't appreciate that either.