Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lake Champlain
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone sail in Lake Champlain? I'm from CT and want to take my boat up there this July 2005 for an overnight sailing/camping trip. I just don't know anything about where to camp or if it's even possible/practical to do. How are the winds up there, fairly predicatable? And weather?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same idea in mind. I am a Hobie Cat sailor from Norwalk, CT. I was thinking of trailering her up there with some friends this summer as well. It looks like the perfect lake to sail on, or at least it did from the top of Sugarbush! Where in CT are you?

Post subject: camping
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm from Canton, CT, but do most of my sailing in Hebron, CT. I've done some research on Lake Champlain.

one night at woods island state park (or knights island just northeast)
http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/woodsisland.cfm
2nd night at valcour island http://www.byways.org/browse/byways/2479/places/32487/
for a better one, use google and search valcour primitive area, it's the first site that comes up.

Then home

The campsites are less than twenty miles apart. You have to go around South Hero Island, but that's the milage going around.
Launch from Mallet's Bay, but I think just south of Burlington would be better.
Day 1 30 miles
Day 2 18 miles
Day 3 18 miles

I was thinking though, the camping gear weight might screw up the wieght distrubution, so I was thinking of starting closer. That way I could drop off gear and just do some sailing without it. On a small lake, I was easily able to do 20 miles (according to my GPS) in 6 hours. That's with a lot of direction changing.
But, I've noticed a large jetty which may make the travel much longer.
The problem with finding info on the lake is the lake is 1/2 in NY and 1/2 in VT so the state's websites on the lake are not that good.

And here's a website that sells books and charts on the lake. http://www.lakechamplainpub.com/

BTW, the Rhode Island hobie club http://www.fleet448.org/ does a sail out to Block Island (9 miles out) at the end of the summer. I've never done it, but I plan to do it this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know I'm a few months late, but for the last 4 years 2 of us Hobie sailors from the North Shore of Boston have been going up for a week of camping and sailing to Lake Champlain. We usually go at the end of June to coincide with Burlington, VT's food festival. The campground we go to is the North Beach campground just behind the high school. It's about a mile north of the cityand on the lakeside bike path.

If you have beach wheels you can launch from the public beach at the campground. If not you can launch at the coast garud station near the city's waterfront. We always leave our boats set up on the beach away from the swimming area for the entire week.

The other advantages of this location is there are showers and bathrooms in the campground. This makes it easier for the less hardy in the group. Plus it is a short bikeride to downtown with all of the great pubs and restaurants. Also, North Beach is on one of the (if not the) widest part of the lake.

Sadly I have moved a few hundred miles sounth (Annapolis, MD) and can't bring my boat with me next year.

For information just google "north beach campground burlingon vt" and thier website should come up. I hope this information helps, if not this year the for next year.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO