Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Karl, on the CRAW info. I was at a number of the CRAW regattas this summer (Racine, Madison, Suamico) getting kids/wives out on the O'pen BIC's (gateway drug to cat addiction), and it struck me that, as beautiful as the Tiger's, F18's, Tornado's are, it would be greatly helpful to cat sailing to have a "$1000" fleet--old H14's, H16's, so that college students, high school students, self-employed family guys w/ multiple kids, could race with a modest investment. I'll bet there's lots of people who'd be wired on cat sailing with an active, "cheap" entry.

I've gotten to know some of those guys pretty well, so I'll bring up the idea of a "mixed/older" Hobie fleet. Either way (with CRAW or independent from), it looks like we have a critical mass for WI./MN./ill./IA. Hobie stuff--I don't mean to be presumptuous, I'm sure there's lots going on out there already.

Feel free to call, and we'll start scheming for summer, 2010.

Steve, Oshkosh, (920) 233-1311

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm right there with ya Steve. My h16 is a hobby'hobie... I don't race and I really don't intend to... for several reasons.. 1. I don't want to travel with my boat all that much if at all.. and 2. I don't have a class legal boat (no comptip and I like it that way)... I think my tiller is illegal too.. and my boat is an '82... with original sails. I'm not looking to invest a couple grand on new sails and a comptip. I'm just out having a good time on the lake and would LOVE to hit a course sometime or just sail around with other cats! It gets lonely out there, especially if I'm solo'ing. :)

Just FYI.. I'm 32... no kids, with a girlfriend who enjoys the cat too. I like kids and would love to take people out on it to introduce them to the sport. A "pleasure fleet" would be really cool! We could probably find Venture scouts that want to crew... I have contacts with the local BSA chapter if we actually want to organize something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well... that sounds like some really awesome stuff!!!

I just made the switch to hobie sailing mid-way through the summer when I bought a 1980 H16... so I doubt I would be all that competitive... but I believe everything I have is class legal...

I am certainly interested in racing.... the thing is, I am 22... just graduated from college, and very poor right now... so I can barely afford to maintain my current boat.... so right now, just getting out there with other cat sailers would be tremendous!! Eventually I would like to get racing, get a newer boat, and get somewhat more serious about it!! Thanks for the CRAW info!!!

1980 H16
Emerald Blue Sails

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

clend692 wrote:
....... the thing is, I am 22... just graduated from college, and very poor right now... so I can barely afford to maintain my current boat.... so right now, just getting out there with other cat sailers would be tremendous!! Eventually I would like to get racing, get a newer boat, and get somewhat more serious about it!! Thanks for the CRAW info!!!

There is always lots of openings for crew in CRAW, its a pretty cheap way to get on the water, and try out some cool boats. Plus learn from people who have an idea of what to do.

Steve- I didn't make it to Madison or Suamico, but I was a Racine so we've probably met. Maroon Dodge diesel pickup, super motard in the back, and an FXone. My girlfriend claims I get hostile around strangers......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I may be organizing a Boy Scouts of America, Venture Scout Crew in Oshkosh over the winter, if I can find 5 youth members 14-21 to sign up... The primary focus will be live action role-playing, but we may sponsor some youth sailing and snow-shoeing as well. Basically, I play a game with a pretty decent player-base but most of us are a bit older than that.. I'm 32... if we join BSA, which we used to be an Explorer Post back in the day, we can utilize BSA camps and insurance and it's also easier to advertise as a BSA Venture crew. I already have a sponsor organization lined up to sponsor the crew, just need to get the minimum youth requirements and I'll be all set.

I know it sounds like an odd thing.. but from all the talks I've had with BSA people, Venture crews are often "activity based", like ones that put on Plays or Musicals and others that only Rock climb or sail. This one will do a few things, live action role playing, sailing, snow sports, and whatever else we feel like doing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well....spring is on the way but we're still icebound for the time being. I live just north of Oshkosh and I just bought a Hobie Adventure Island last summer. It's a blast! I don't know how it will do keeping up with a cat, but it's maneuverable and seems pretty fast (for sailing) to me. I'm up for a day trip on the local lakes (Winnebago, butte des morts, poygan) or a trip somewhere new once the weather warms up!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to have another hobie in the area!

I know some people in Oshkosh that paddle regularly in kayaks... maybe we can have a kayak/cat get together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a '78 H16 (Keoke?) cat. I'm working to make it sea-worthy and get the trailer working but I'm excited to get it in the water. Hope to see some other Hobie's in the local waters soon!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just bought a hobie 16 and planning to take it up to school with my when i return in a month. Looking for some guys to help show me the ropes around the kenosha/Milwaukee area. Let me know if any of you are still active!