Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cant beat 'em join 'em hell with that. Beat 'Em! every time.....

For those of you who have reservations or a concious about it, let me bring up, it is tax season right? Or, ya filled up your car lately? Who is screwing who here? really? <--thats a new thread in and of its self. Back to the matter at hand.

I had another one of them trhoughts!

If your state makes it a pain in the @$$ to do stuff leagly this is for you.

Part 1.Trailers

Go buy a swapper/newspaper some thing that people put stuff/junk they want to sell or, just ask some friends if they have or know some one who does have what you need, a title. Look for a small cheap utility trailer under 100 $ or what ever its worth to you to get your cat mobile, leagly (kinda). its nice to have anyway. just switch tags. You cant very well haul yard waste while your on your cat can ya?

The new trailer will come with a new vin so make your next stop a hardware store / metalworking shop. Now your looking for letter and number punches or sometimes called stamps. If you don't already have this stuff a small grinder, course and fine disks or sometimes called hard and soft disks. you can see where this is headed already I'm sure.

Go home find your old vin peel it off a wire wheel may be better to remove all of the plackard. If you just had a lable don't sweat this next part.
If the vin is stamped into the metal get your grinder and make sure you use a course grinding wheel first to erase numbers then go over it with a soft or fine disk to give it that factory look. Its my understanding that most vin's are put on or near, the toung so, get to it. you may find its easier to punch or stamp in your new vin if you pre heat the area to be worked with a small propane/butane (butane is hotter) tourch.
Remember to make it look good cause the guys at the DMV (or where ever) see this stuf all day every day. That said, it might not be a bad idea to paint over the worked area. Goods Luck

Part 2.Hulls

vin's on hulls easy.
Same concept as above just diffrent mterials. Oh don't use punches on gel coat, how about a dremmel thats what it looks like they do it with from the factory on the old ones. If you have one hull vin that matches your title and not the other hull, just erase and re gelcoat on the other vin (I remember reading a thread that someone had diffrent vin's and "the man" was hassleing him because of it). you get the point.
I mean who outside of the cat community knows that there is a vin for each hull? When a landlover or goboater looks at a cat all the see is one jumble of sails wires and who knows what if the mast is horizontal use it to your advantage. So have fun this summer on your legal boat.<wink,wink>

Has anyone done this sort of thing in the past? please report.
Is there any thing I missed?
remember to let us know how it turned out.

-chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Please don't take this too seriously, but I am concerned about the casual attitude of altering VINs. We all don't want it to be TOO easy to steal and re-register boats and trailers. We all WANT it to be DIFFICULT for the real theives of the world. But when the system fails the honest person, well... a mild 'gaming' of the system may be the solution. I personally would not help or sell titles for the legal gaming of the system, unless I truely knew the people involved. An 'active' intent of casually changing numbers could be asking for trouble of the worst kind. Keep these things in mind, folks!

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess I thought that people would have sense enough to only do this if thier intent was not of a malicious one and had nowhere else to turn. Cause who's going to help you? certianly not "The man". That's why we come here right? To help eachother and to talk about our cat experiences.

True criminals know all this any way. (for the record I have no criminal record).

I mean really have you read some of the threads people have been posting? they need help. All I'm trying to do is give options.

If someone does have such problems but they choose to sail thier boat they are "breaking the law" anyway whats the diffrence. Granted thats thier choice but now they have an option.

I guess if they sail right way, they will have such a heel on thier boat that one hull will be burried and the other will be flying so high nobody would be able to see it anyway. <--had to cut the tention with that. so all that said Beat em, Beat em every time (except all you criminals out threre)

I assume we are all fully mentally sound and of good judgement makeing ability(it's notlike we are Goboaters). We know whats wrong and right and what looks like a good job(sellable) or not. Not to mention where you go and what "they " do to people who do bad things.

That being said use your best judgement while on the water and getting there.