Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Riggimg Questions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1. is with replacing my standing Rigging upper/lower forestay and shrouds. Will I need to replace my mast step? On my 1973 H-16 The Mast step is in good condition the rotation blocks are not worn. I'm also replacing the mast tang from the original single eye. haven't convinced my self on installing the Comp tip and just having two masts. The main System was original two single blocks along the boom. I have up graded to the Harken 6:1. I'm pretty sure it is not the oringinal rigging but the Sails with it are Mckbbin McK with a shamrock in the middle. There in fair/Good shape for being 33 years old in June Sail # 11578 so only Dr Who knows.

2. what is correct height to install the new mast tang? Now that I think about it the Mast tang may be off of a H-14. What is the posibility of leaving the old one on and installing the new one directly under it?

Any advice would help.

thanks in advance

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1) I'm definately planning to replace my shrouds here soon myself. I have my mast as far back as I can get it with the mast step I have now and it seems okay... but I suppose with new shrouds it might start acting kinda funny. Dunno, but I guess I could also use an angle grinder to "adjust" the step, too. The McK sails are the ones Hobie originally bought. I've got 'em too! Congrats on being old-school. :D

2) IIIIiiiiii dunno. :o

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks JZX I recieved everything today So The rivets are coming out tonight. Found a good mast with a comptip pretty cheap so I will keep the original mast. whew I was sweating that cut, I even had a hard time cutting my decks for the hatch covers :shock: but well worth doing took my orngishred boat out last Saturday had a blast no leaks. I was told to have the rivet holes welded from the old style mast tang (old schhool) :idea: I think I will use 3M 5200 instead. Ive been wanting to ask you where are you moving too? I will be in the galvaston area in July know of any rentals around Surfside Beach?

Todd

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker,

I think everyone is in or heading to San Felipi MX this week 8) There is allways next year :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm just moving up the road to Abilene. 100 miles farther from the ocean, alas. Bigger lake there than here though. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like the lake sailing is endless as long as you pull your Cats to the east and north. I think there is a lot of Hobies on lake Dallas they may have renamed it lewisville near grapevine. been awhile since Iwas over there. Cant wait to see your rig for the 14 and 16. Keep us posted take lots of Pics 8)

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My "rig?" As in trailer? I have two trailers. That's the *good* thing about going to Abilene - it's so close I can make lots and lots of weekend trips to move all my stuff. :o