Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: nacra 500 anyone??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was talking to my local Hobie dealer about replacing my old 16 and he asked me if I had considered a Nacra 500, anyone have any thoughts??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Why would a Hobie dealer recommend a competitors product when there are options within the Hobie product line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, a little early for an April Fool's joke but what the hell! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you may be bored with the N 500 lets look
Nacra 500
Length: 16' 8" (5.08m)
Width: 8'2.5" (2.50m)
Sail Area:
Main Sail: 150 sq. ft. (14 m2)
Jib Sail: 42 sq. ft. (3.8 m2)
Weight: 340 lbs. (154 kg)

The ultimate H-16
Length: 16' 7"
Beam: 7' 11"
Mast Length: 26' 6"
Sail Area: 218 Sq. Ft.
Weight: 320 lbs.

I would Keep My 16 or buy a new one. or move to the H-17 please don't use profanity my virgin ears oh my :shock:

Post subject: Odd
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also could not understand why the Hobie dealer would be trying to sell me the Nacra? That's why I brought it up, I love my Hobie but as he was a Hobie dealer trying to sell me a Nacra I had to find out what was up? He was saying that the 16 has severe problems with keeping the boat stiff, i.e. the corner castings and pilons. I was interested if anyone had any experience with the performance differences of the two boats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy,

Help us out. Why do you want to replace your old 16?, do you race?, where do you sail?, number and size of people you will be sailing with, are you going to buy new or would you consider a used boat? Do you live on the water or will you be trailering?

There are all kinds of options available to you depending on what you are looking for.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Roy,

If you are concerned about your older 16 losing its "edge," there is a wealth of information here to help rejuvinate it. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a new challenge, go for it! Every cat has its good and bad points. I haven't sailed a N500, so I won't comment on it compared to the H16.

Your dealer is right about one thing...Hobie 16s like being stiff and their design tends to loosen up with age...at the corner castings. However, there are a number of remedies including tightening the tramp, inserting shims (can be purchase or use cut up milk jugs), or even epoxying the frame that can breath new life into the boat.

If you do look at the N500, please share your thoughts. Always fun to hear about other boats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ok so to answer your questions, I primarily sail alone, I am 54 so I just sail for the pure enjoyment of it, I sail on a small inland lake where I have a cabin. Once in a while I will trailer the boat to my sister’s place and sail on a very large lake there. My cat is a 1986 and certainly shows here age! I had the bottoms redone last year but she still needs some work. I thought I could buy a 3 or 4yr old 16 and give mine to my son but I can’t find any used 16’s in that age group that are anywhere close to where I am (Saskatoon, Sask. Canada) Anyway I guess I will just keep looking. And just for the record there would have to be a whole lot of positive feed back about the Nacra 500 to make me give up my 16!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Roy,

I agree with drej, there are a lot of things that can be done to give the old 16 a kick in the pants.

New sails are a big addition. Look on this site and there are a number of actions that can be taken including step by step instructions. Gluing the frame will stiffen the boat (although you can't get it apart easily should you want to).

In the mean time keep your eyes open for a newer boat. Let us know what you come up with.

John