Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to make sure I can right my h16 solo. I am 165lb, and have read all the posts. But some people say buy this, and some say buy that. I figure it is best to get a righting bag, but do I still need to get something like the Hawaiian style setup? Which bag should I get?
Thanks,
CP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You are mixing things here. One issue is weight. If you don't have enough weight you won't right the boat. The second issue is how to store/retrieve the rope you need to hang on to right the boat. some people prefers a single rope attached at the dolphin striker stored through the trampoline lacing (you loose some time to put it back) other people prefers the hawaiian style, just use it and forget.
The line you use is at the end a matter of preference, the weight is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started one of the recent threads on this topic. As I said I am a tad under 200 but was unable to right my H16 solo using one of the sleeve bungee type rigs that attach to the pylons. I have not had a chance to test the technques posted in that thread.

I have since purchased a righting bag and plan to use that if necessary in combination with the knotted rope. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. The line is large (5/8"?), soft, and easy to grip, with knots every 12" or so. I attach it to the tramp lacing from the bottom. I stow both the bag and line in a separate stowage bag that has an elastic opening, and is clipped the tramp lacing. Right now I am using a temporary stowage bag but hope to have a better one made.

In use (haven't needed it yet), after capsizing and point the boat, I'll climb on the lower hull, reach into and pull the righting bag from the stowage bag. I'll throw the bag and rope over the upper hull. After righting the boat I'll stay between the hulls and stuff the righting bag and line in the stowage bag.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did some extensive testing this weekend and found that the Big Bag System works best. I even have a righting pole on my 16 but I didn't have enough weight to get it over and I'm not on the light side.

The big bag system worked great and the boat canme over.

86 H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How much does the big bag system cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
After righting the boat I'll stay between the hulls and stuff the righting bag and line in the stowage bag.

You'll be between the hulls, but the righting bag will be outside of the hulls since you threw it over the upper hull when capsized. So I suspect you would actually have to climb up on the boat, empty the righting bag, and then jump back under the tramp to store the bag in its pouch.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The whole system from Murrays is about $186, This has an upgraded block system than what mine has.

:D

86 H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
what is the most cost effective sytem for solo righting?

oh, oh...I know! ! know! It's Pasta! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

J_Eaton wrote:
I know! It's Pasta! :lol:

True! In January, when holidays are over I will be righting my H16 in a second! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I went out today to do capsize drills on my H16. Righting it with the help of a crew member was no problem - so next I tried solo. I'm 6 foot and weigh 194 lbs, so I thought maybe I'd be able to do it. I used a righting line attached to the frame at the base of the mast, threw it over the top hull, looped it around my harness hook, and stood on the bottom of the the hull, with my weight waay out, just over the water. Nope, not enough. Had the boat oriented with the wind blowing on the tramp to help it come up, but there was only light wind (say 6 mph), and it just wasn't enough.

Bottom line, no way was I getting it up by myself. Had to have my crew come around, grab my harness, and add some weight.

So... I guess I need some kind of righting system. I've read about righting bags that come with some kind of block and tackle system. But they're not cheap enough for a cheapskate like me. I figure if I had just about another 40 pounds I'd have enough weight to right the boat. Anybody have a suggestion for something cheap and simple?

Thanks,

Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are some great bags on e-bay. You can find the link Here

http://www.getwetsailing.com/sailing-gear

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I read somewhere ... not sure which forum... that some guy carry a heavy duty leaf bag, fill it 1/3 with water and sling it over their shoulder while hanging on to the righting line. That added about 30-40 lbs depends on how much water in the bag. Afterward it's easy to empty and fold up and keep it in a swimsuit pocket. I thought that was innovative, but wondering if it will work ? Don't flame me, I'm just throwing something I read out there to help out the group .....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have a hobie 16 and weigh 195, I bought a righting bag from coloradobagcompany.com off of ebay for around 40 big ones. i have used the bag and it works great- keep it stored under the tramp for easy access when i go swimming. bought some line from wmart to attach to bag.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get a duffel bag from the Army/Navy store and when you capsize, fill it with water and put the strap across your back and pull on the righting line. When you have the boat sufficiently righted (mast approx 30 deg.) you'll be in the water where the bag is neutrally buoyant. Store the bag on top of the trap near the mast, just avoid jib sheet tangle. I did this for years with my H-16 at 150-165 lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

zach bird wrote:
i have a hobie 16 and weigh 195, I bought a righting bag from coloradobagcompany.com off of ebay for around 40 big ones. i have used the bag and it works great- keep it stored under the tramp for easy access when i go swimming. bought some line from wmart to attach to bag.

Idid the same thing and got it with a tramp bag to store it underneath. Then
I bought this:
http://www.roperatchet.com/375ratchet.shtml
Less than 10 bucks. Next season I'm going to add a lower block, because it was pretty tough hauling up 50+ lbs of water.
The bag needs its own rope, so you can haul it up and then lean back into while holding on to your righting line.