Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody have success separating the tramp frame end-caps from the hull pylons on a 30 year old Hobie? The frame and tramp are still intact, and I would like to keep them assembled if possible. Only one corner of the frame shows movement after several blows at each corner with sledge and 2X4. Maybe heat? I'm concerned that an air hammer may break the pylons loose from the hull. Maybe the previous owner epoxied the end caps to the pylons or maybe the aluminum just corroded over the years and "welded" itself together. Looking for ideas from the community, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi yes you can do it but im not tottaly sure you can do it eith the tramp on because when its on it tightens everything up so it might have a force complied on it to make the tramp frame not move so i think you will have to take the tramp off and then try and if it dosnt work then the owners who had it before you could of glued it together .???( i have a h14 and i just took the pontoons off and one sidee was loose so it came off easile but the other side was hard and we ad to just keep pulling it and wiggling it off inch by inch). ,Harrison

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:36 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Heat is your friend here.

Remove the trampoline if you haven't already.

Heat the top of the corner casting (propane torch) and very judiciously on the side. The objective is to soften the glue, not damage the pylon/hull attachment or set the boat on fire.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I'll try the applied heat sans trampoline. If that fails, I'll separate the fore and aft cross bars and repair the hulls with the side frame pieces still attached. At least then the hulls will be workable individually. By the way, why would anyone glue /epoxy the end caps onto the hull pylons? Seems like overkill to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

clewless wrote:
By the way, why would anyone glue /epoxy the end caps onto the hull pylons? Seems like overkill to me.

Racers do this to keep the frame stiff. A stiff frame is significantly faster - the energy that would be wasted iin flexing the frame is applied to making the boat go faster.

A new boat is pretty stiff right out of the boxes, but after a few years of use, it loosens up considerably. Gluing the castings to the pylons is a cheap way to re-stiffen the frame without buying a new boat.

Test to see how stiff your boat is: With the boat sitting on the ground, slowly lift one bow while watching the other bow. If you can lift it more than a couple of inches without the other bow moving, most racers would consider it too loose.

It doesn't make any real difference on a recreational level, although it can be unnerving to see the bows moving in different directions when going through waves.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so mbound it is normal for one hull to move differently than the other one in big waves?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

harrison wrote:
so mbound it is normal for one hull to move differently than the other one in big waves?

Where you'll notice it is when you're trapezeing and you can see both bows at the same time - the leeward hull will "walk" up and down over waves, while the windward hulls stays relatively still.

Another way to see it is to have the boat on the beach, grab the bow with one hand at the bridle and shake it up and down repeatedly. It won't take long before you get the the other hull moving up and down in the opposite direction in a sympathetic oscillation.

Kind of freaky to see, but it's no big deal unless you're racing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok thx