Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

So I was thinking.....again.

What do we think would happen if someone were to have a genoa 1 made for a 16?!?

Talk about Hobie X class. 8)

Would the boat be too over powered all the time? To compensate could you talk to JamieZX and see if he could make larger rudders?
Or in heavy wind do you think she would just pitch pole all the time.

Just food for thought.

Post subject: Genoa
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am pretty sure that if you have the neccesity to have a genoa made, you need to move somewhere that gets more wind. It would be ok in light wind for running because you wouldn't need to have a spinnaker, but other then that, I can't see any advantage to it. You don't have room ona 16 for any extra people to keep your boat flat so what would you do with thw extra power in heavy wind anyway.
Just my thoughts, but i know that were I live, I would put it on probably once a year for shade on the beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not to mention the fact that you would have to move the jib blocks back to the side rails, due to the width of the jib. Don't know if the side rails could take the stress.

Post subject: it was just a thought...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had no actual intention of going through with getting a genoa, it was more of a, hmm what if/something to talk about kinda post.

I'm actually real pleased with the ammount of wind we get here in Delaware so I don't need it.

Speaking of wind, whats the least ammount of wind needed to move a 16? How much is too much before you have to reef or even start dropping a sail. B.T.W. which one? The main would be my guess am I wrong?

I mean I can tell by looking at the wind speed in flags and feeling it in my face, when is not a good day to go out but, I've never actually took an anemometer out and said. "hmmm 32.625 knots lets not go sailing till it drops to 29.125 knots." remember I'm crazy not stupid. Although some of my posts might be kinda on the stupid side like this one for example.

I guess what I'm getting at is .... are there hard numbers out there if I even owned an anemometer and one day didn't feel like useing my sences to judge the wind (which are part pirate and part albatross). How much wind do we need to just push our cats?
I know all this would depend on crew weight but what days are just better to sit on the beach and drink captian and coke or beer? An even better question, keep your pants on for this one........get this.........does wind speed effect which beverage is consumed? :D

Thanks again for the stimulateing conversation. (Almost over stimulateing at times) but consistently informitave.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All good Sea stories start out with there I was NO %$#& this one is real, there we were caught with our pants down when a front came out of no where and I mean no where not a cloud in the sky and wham wind did a 180 and sent us for a plunge got it back up and screamed OH (*&*^%! Please let us live! made it back to the beach went to the OKC boat club for shelter there wind meter read 54 knots as the high gust mark blowing steady at 37 knots. May of 1981.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Regarding light air, I can say that with just me out on the 16 and almost no downhaul or outhaul, you can putt-putt along at 1-2 knots in just a breath of wind - barely enough to make the water ripple. I will also say, however, that you can make the boat go faster if you're out on one of the bows paddling. ;)

Jim