Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soggy Pylons
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So ive now managed finally to pull the frame off the pylons.

I found that there was some sort of blockage in the air vent so have removed the both plugs in all four pylons... suffice to say that there was a fair bit of water in there !

I can see another foam plug lower in the pylon but think i would have major difficulty in getting at it so have decided to leave it. Have left it for a few days and now am thi thinking of replacing the foam plugs with the "noodle" spoken of in other posts. Was hopeful that Matt Miller may be able to advise if there was anything to watch out for when doing this repair. Will will be glueing the frame together when we put the boat back together so this could be the last time ( for a long time at least) that the inside of the pylons see the light of day.

Many thanks
:?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Glue? where, on what? Cause when I took the frame off the pylons on my boat, there was just a bolt, no glue. Good think too, it was pretty tough to get the pilons out of the casting on the frame.

There are more people here that know alot more about Hobies than I do so don't take my word for hoyle. Maybe there should be some sort of glue on or in the pylons of my boat and then I should take mine apart and "glue mine".

I really dont think the frame is glued maybe some time ago some one thought they would seal them and put a bead of silicone around the pylon,

Ooh Ooh Wait. What kind of boat are you talking about and what year is it. Maybe that could be where my confusion is. Are you the original owner that would clarify the history question. I donno. We should be hearing from "one of the pros" in a short while here, I'm on the edge of my seat for this one though.

If it's a penny for my thought and I just put my two cents in, Someone is makeing a penny. Dam, shafted again. :- {

Wishing you Warm,Steady winds,

--Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Scotthayter…
There are quiet a few more pieces of foam in each pylon – especially in the rear pylons that do not need to vent. I did this type of job a few months ago – I replaced the foam plugs with pieces cut from one of the big water noodles. Inserting the noodles is kind of a tough job. Adding silicone is not all that important. Glueing the frame… there are very good instructions available on the web… just google for them. Keep in mind that epoxying the frame is quiet permanent. Defects corner castings, x- bars… will be a major PITA. Brass shims / sleeves could be cut to shim the joint between pylon and corner casting. Re riveting x-bar to corner casting seems to help a lot too. This is what I did and it improved the stiffness of the frame quiet a bit.

rwehuman…
hmmm non of the stock Hobies came with glued pylon to corner casting joints. The epoxing of those joints, especially with old boats seems to be a good way of getting a loose and worn frame stiff again.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Scotthayter,

The links you are looking for can be found on the former "On the Wire" eZine, of which the archives are now posted on http://www.thebeachcats.com. I don't remember the month, but if you scroll through the "covers" you will see it highlighted. A great set of instructions with lots of pictures and links to reference information for West Systems Epoxy etc.

Good luck!