Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hey hey
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the right forum. (I was in the 14 forum forever trying to figure out a 16) So I'm taking my hobie out for the first time. :D I got all the stuff necessary to get her on the water. Supposed to be in the mid 70's and sunny. Mental note, sunscreen. Suddenly I find myself with a much better cat than I thought. Some of the people I've met and sailed with have really opened my eyes to a really cool sport. I hope to meet some more of you in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

have fun eh! Im takin mine out for the first time in a few months this weekend! I can hardly wait!

Luke

Post subject: Great first few days
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a blast. Got sunburnt galore but flew the hull. Had to cut my day short today due to finding a little tear in the tramp that slowly started to grow. Need to fix this before I put my knee or elbow throught it. It's about 1/2 inch long now. Oh well, more stuff to fix. At least it sails and stays afloat. Enjoy folks.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

when I got my first 16, we took it out on the lake for a few hours with just the jib sail, because we were unsure if it would still even float... Ive come along way since then, I remember the joys of being relieved after each day knowing that my boat survived. Now I have an older boat, but its in much better shape, and it sails like a dream....

t-minus 23 hours to sailing...

Luke

Post subject: Hobie days
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So friday came and I got the tear fixed on my tramp, along with some gel coat repair on one of the hulls. Got in the water for a few hours by myself for the first time and flew the hull all over the place. Just trying to find that sweet spot that keeps me way up in the air and holding it. Got the rudders howling like mad, wondered how long it had been since they roared like that. All the while, trying to keep an eye out for sudden gusts that would blow me down. :lol: Was a fantastic day until the clouds rolled in and it started raining. In all, last week was great and to learn how to sail one of these and fly hulls by myself in three days had more than a few people impressed. In my opinion the boat has already paid for itself and the rest of my time with it is icing on the cake. Have fun guys and keep catching that breeze.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds good, buddy. Just FYI, the "sweet spot" of speed (others can correct me if I'm wrong) is with the windward hull just barely skimming the water. If you've got it way up then you're going slower than you could be.

Wrong:

Right:

Yes, I know the pic of me on the 16 in my sig is "wrong." But it looks a little neater. :D

Glad you're having so much fun! Ming and I had a blast at the Cowtown Cats regatta this past weekend, too!

Jim