Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is kinda a stupid question, but here goes. I just bought my first cat, an '82 H16. What is a comptip mast, how can I tell if I have one, and what's the advantage? Also, I'm a little interested to find out how to right the thig when I crash it (because I'm sure I will...). TIA!!

'81 Catalina 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The top 1/3 of CompTip masts are fiberglass. This is due to morons raising the mast or sailing into power lines and then suing Hobie. If you have one, there is a very small performance hit. Technically if you're into class racing you must have one.

Lots of posts on righting in here; just do a search. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not sure about the performance hit... I think they might be a US feature (not sure) They add weight to the mast top (yes sounds wrong that a section of plastic would make it weigh more - but it is a fact). This make the righting more difficult. They mess with the bending curve of the mast. They age fast under UV light - than you have really interesting bending characteristics.
They might perform better under strong winds and in gusty situations by spilling some air due to mast twist / lee way bend.
Righting the hobie is a combo of technique and equipment. Do a search on the topic. You will find plenty of info.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The performance question all aluminium masts x comptip masts is actually a hot question here in Brazil. The class rules specify all alumium masts here in Brazil, but some american boats have appeared here with comptip masts. I had the chance to sail both, and from my experience I can tell that the comptip masts is really easier to sail than the all aluminium mast, specially in strong winds, and it goes upwind better also. On light winds however I think the all aluminium mast will be faster (more power).

Best Regards
Tomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll search for the righting technique. I was really in the dark on the mast thing. I think I'll stick with my aluminum mast.

'81 Catalina 22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two words: lightning protection.
I think that our Fleet 86 started falling apart when we questioned the need for a plastic tip and all rope halyard due to the negligence of someone who probably should have been given a Darwin Award. Our biggest concern on long narrow Finger Lakes was the sudden appearance of T-storms from the West or East that we could not predict because of the surrounding hills.

There is a "cone of protection" that forms around your highest conductive point I can't remember the formula, but the diameter of the base of the cone is roughly 1/3 of the height of the highest conductive point. In other words, with an all aluminum mast enhanced in conductive nature by a metal halyard on a H16 you have an area roughly protecting the tramp. Obviously, when you replace the top 1/3 of the mast with plastic, you lose 1/3 of the cone. I guess you could huddle around the mast, but it gets hard to sail in an approaching storm in that position while you are trying to get to shore - the safest place to be :wink:

I didn't change. I think will find very few boats in this area who did.

Sail on and enjoy it. I agree with the info on performance, (good one H16Brazil) but the usual wind favors the all metal mast. 8)