Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We just inherited a Hobie 16 with the intent to put it up for sale. This boat belonged to my husband's uncle who died in 1993. It has not been touched since that time. Is there anyway to tell what year model it is? We estimate that it is an '89 or '90 just knowing that he only had it a few years before his death and we know it was purchased new.

We also have no idea on how the best way to sell it would be - in the condition it is in now or try to fix it up some and then sell it. The sails on it are in great shape. They were put away in the tubes and in the garage and have not been out since. They were a second set of sails and were only taken out a few times. The boat itself looks to be in very good condition. A new paint job wouldn't hurt just to combat the fading from the sun. The trampoline is shot. We do not know if it would be best to replace this or to sell the boat as is. The ropes also probably need to be replaced, but that is sort of common sense for a boat of that age. The trailer has just been rewired with all new lights and the tires replaced.

Basically, we will be selling a boat that was only used for 4 summers. With a little TLC and a new trampoline and ropes, it would be a great boat for someone that liked to go sailing.

So, any ideas on how to find out what year model it is? Any suggestions on if we should replace the trampoline or sell it as is? Also, is there a good place to find out what kind of price range we should be putting it in. We don't even know where to begin on how much to ask for it. I would appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, first I'd advise keeping it and learning to sail! :)

But... if you're stuck on selling it then there's a few things you can do. Look on the transoms (the back of the hulls) to get the serial number of the boat. Decoding information found here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1155
It'll tell you what year the boat is.

Second, a new trampoline will run you $300-$400; so that's something you can take into consideration. Good trailer and sails are an excellent plus. How about the rudders? What do they look like? If they're basic white plastic that's okay, but if they're black fiberglass rudders (with an EPO sticker/graphic) then that'll add a little value to the boat.

You probably don't want to re-paint the boat; rather using a good marine boat polish (like 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax) and some elbow grease should get the shine back.

With two sets of sails you could probably get at least $1500, maybe more depending on the year, but having a bad tramp is gonna cost you some.

Anyway, good luck!

Jim

Post subject: Inherited Cat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To give everybody a better idea about what you've got, if you can, take digital pictures and post them somewhere and people can get back to you. You might even find a buyer that way. Good luck!

Post subject: Thanks for the responses
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great job on the hull number info. I did find that number scratched into the back of each pontoon and thought that might be the key to finding out some information on the boat. I will write it down tonight when I get home from work.

When we get her spiffed up a bit, I will take some photos and post them on my webshots account.

I'll see about trying the cleaner and polish before we decide she needs to be repainted. Thank you for that tip.