Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Forestay
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anybody know approx. (or better yet, exactly if you know) how long the lower part of the jib forestay should be???

I stepped my mast today and the forestay must be way too long because the mast was angled so far back the mast almost poped out of the base.

thanks for your help...

Taking the boat up to the adirondacks (up sate NY) this weekend. 1st time on a fresh waer lake. Can't wait....

Post subject: Forestay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Forestay length is very long to allow for maximum mast rake, but the stay itself is not a structural part of the sailing rig. It is just used for rigging when the jib is not up. Once you raise the jib and tension it's halyard, the "forestay" wire goes slack and the rig is loaded onto the jib's internal luff wire... it becomes the actual forestay. The slack "forestay" should never take any sailing loads away from the jib luff wire. This insures that the jib wire can stay taunt and as straight as possible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Forestay Length
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi - The exact length of the lower section of the forestay is 204" (center eye to center eye). My boat is going in the water next week and I am testing a new concept. I've ordered a forestay (lower section) 183" inches in length and will be installing a stainless turnbuckle (11" open length) between the forestay eye and the chainplate. This will allow the mast to be stepped easy and later tightened. The turnbuckle was purchased from west marine (1/4" pin) along with the new forestay. The modified rig cost only $70.00 and will have 3" of travel. I will make another post regarding my success or failure. Hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I look forward to hearing of your results, but I'm not exactly sure what the point of your experiment is... could you enlighten us please? :)

Jim

Post subject: Re: Forestay Length
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Seajigger wrote:
This will allow the mast to be stepped easy and later tightened.

The "forestay is meant to be VERY loose even while sailing because the jib luff wire takes all of the rig load. Now, if you were to add hanks to the jib and you wanted to keep the luff wire looser than the forestay... that would work. That would allow a rig to be tight 24-7 on a beach. That would be a lot of tightening on the turnbuckle though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)