Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks,
I am back sailing my 16 footer after a hiatus of 7 years. It is an “83” with updated rigging to 90 specs. I want to go with a Aussy Jib Halyard but I’m confused by the rigging. When I last investigated it the only system used a couple of blocks and I believe the halyard was cleated somehow to the chainplate at the bridle wires. There were two sister clips that allowed you to remove the excess line.

The systems I have seen discussed on this forum seem to cleat the jib halyard back to the mast. So I’m confused. I haven’t seen a good photo of the whole system.

It seems tat taking the halyard back to the mast still produces some of the unwanted characteristics that we are trying to get rid off. Does anybody bring the jib halyard down to the chain plate and then back to the front bar to be cleated? It would seem that that would give you the ability to unload the mast and still adjust it on the water. Being class legal isn’t a concern for me on this boat.

Any feedback would be helpful. A good diagram of the system with some dimensions would be perfect if someone is willing to do it.
Thanks in advance.
Elliott
Grand Haven, MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may be thinking of the H18 or H17 Sport versions which you pull the sail up with the halyard going through the luff of the jib which is zippered. The H16 jib halyard system does cleat off at the mast with the purchase of the Aussie halyard system being above the head of the jib, the single line then comes down the mast and cleats near the base. The best picture I could find on short notice is on p. 37 of the Hobie parts catalog.