Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Repairing Hull Damage
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a couple of areas on both the starboard hull and the port hull where the gel coat is bubbling/peeling. The damage seems to be symmetrical. I'm not sure how the damage occurred. I'm guessing that either there was some water in the hull when the boat was stored and the damage started from the inside of the hulls (there are no soft spots on the outside of the hull). The other way the damage may have occurred could have been from the hulls rubbing up against the rollers when the boat was loaded onto the trailer.

I was planning on sanding down the affected areas and then applying some gel coat. I was going to go with the gel coat from the Hobie web site hoping that would be a better color match (white). Is this the right plan of attack?

Here are a couple of pictures of the damaged area. Thanks.

http://home.comcast.net/~joeroyal/StarboardHull.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~joeroyal/PortHull.JPG

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've never seen gel coat peel like that. Is it possible that your hulls were painted at some point? It looks to me like there is a layer of paint overr your gel coat. Perhaps a previous owner patched some damage and then painted over, and now that paint is peeling off. Hard to say, but I've never seen gel coat behave like that.

I would sand down the affectd area and see what's underneath. Then go from there as far as the reapir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Your hull has defineitely been painted. you could strip the whole thing and get down to a good base of gelcoat and then paint or buff the gelcoat to a high gloss if it is in good shape. Alternatively, you could say the heck with it and just have fun sailing the boat.