Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone after 1 year I found a hobie 16 and I am deciding to buy it. But ı have question the owner made some repair on this hobie 16 with fiber resine but dont put on gel coat in this repair actuallt I wanna repaint my cat to wiht colour. It will be professional.

Paste the small crack- Less sanding(not to remove gelcoat)- Primer- Sand- Paint --Sand- Paint-Paint- Water Sanding- Polish.

Can I paint my cat with this order of process and which sand paper should I use for each stage. And which paint should I choose for primer and base coat, acrylic, epoxy or etc. And which compound should I use for polish.

And this cat has a furling system jib is it a problem and can I change the jib system later with classic system because ı wanna use jib that has a battens.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would recommend against paint. The gelcoat holds up way better than paint ever could, and it usually polishes up nicely. Depending upon where the crack was and how it was repaired you have 3 options.

Option 1, leave it be. I usually prefer this one as it gives me more time to sail.

Option 2, sand and gelcoat over the repair, then polish boat.

Option 3, Start into option 2, find out the repair was poorly done, sand away most of the repair and then build back up with glass and then gelcoat. Regret not taking option 1.

As far as sanding, I usually prep repair areas with 80-120 grit. For polishing up the boat I start with 220 grit wet sanding, and work my way up to 1000 grit, then rubbing, then polishing compound.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

speed633 wrote:
I would recommend against paint. The gelcoat holds up way better than paint ever could, and it usually polishes up nicely. Depending upon where the crack was and how it was repaired you have 3 options.

Option 1, leave it be. I usually prefer this one as it gives me more time to sail.

Option 2, sand and gelcoat over the repair, then polish boat.

Option 3, Start into option 2, find out the repair was poorly done, sand away most of the repair and then build back up with glass and then gelcoat. Regret not taking option 1.

As far as sanding, I usually prep repair areas with 80-120 grit. For polishing up the boat I start with 220 grit wet sanding, and work my way up to 1000 grit, then rubbing, then polishing compound.

Thank you for attention. Actually I am confused I wanna restore the all part I think If I restore thr hull first this summer, I will restoring the other parts it can be easy in the next year. Repairing and painting the hull so easy for me I think I could make fiber repair and body filler compound repair thats look like very easy and we have a good painter in our company for painting the hull and other parts. And next question could ı paint the mast and back,front and sides profiles?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless you are going to gelcoat all of the surfaces, you can use pre-colored gelcoat like that sold by Fiber Glass Coatings Inc.

I am sure that your older hulls are not still bright white like a new Hobie. FGCI has many shades of pre-mixed gelcoat.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim H16 wrote:
Unless you are going to gelcoat all of the surfaces, you can use pre-colored gelcoat like that sold by FiberGlass Coatings Inc.

I am sure that your older hulls are not still bright white like a new Hobie. FGCI has many shades of pre-mixed gelcoat.

Thanks for advice

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 1984 H16, I use FGCI's "Misty White" FCIWG-050 for my gelcoat repairs. It matches the hull's actual color pretty well.
Make a 1.5% mix using MEKP-925 (2.0cc in 4oz gelcoat).

87 H14T
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim H16 wrote:
On my 1984 H16, I use FGCI's "Misty White" FCIWG-050 for my gelcoat repairs. It matches the hull's actual color pretty well.
Make a 1.5% mix using MEKP-925 (2.0cc in 4oz gelcoat).

I live in Turkey. I dont see this label(FGCI).

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FGCI is FiberGlass Coatings Inc. in Florida.

https://www.fgci.com/products

Hopefully you can find a more local supplier.

You may be able to show them what FGCI has and hopefully they can match it.

87 H14T
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any other comment about painting side front rear bars and mast.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Personally, I wouldn't paint the hulls, and I REALLY wouldn't paint the metal mast and cross bars. The metal is anodized. Paint will scratch and peel. Clean them up, put fresh gel coat on worn hull fiberglass as previous posters suggested, and embrace the well-worn look.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't paint the hulls, and I REALLY wouldn't paint the metal mast and cross bars. The metal is anodized. Paint will scratch and peel. Clean them up, put fresh gel coat on worn hull fiberglass as previous posters suggested, and embrace the well-worn look.

Any thoughts on degreasing and roughing the crossbar with a green scotchbrite pad, then a few light coats of Plasti-dip?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

LobsterClaw207 wrote:
dorienc wrote:

Any thoughts on degreasing and roughing the crossbar with a green scotchbrite pad, then a few light coats of Plasti-dip?

I am wondering about it, but plasti-dip can fade and hold a lot of dust afterwards and I think it is not a very good option since it is always in contact with salt water.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Furling jib is the same size with normal jib? How many square meters of size difference between them?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ogulcan wrote:
Furling jib is the same size with normal jib? How many square meters of size difference between them?

Don't know the size, but the furling jib is definitely smaller. It doesn't have the exaggerated roach of the standard sail because that would flutter like crazy with no battens.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Almost Never paint a gelcoat boat. That is conditional as I always hate it when people are so definitive.
I have never seen a boat that is painted that looked better than the original gel coat. And it never lasts. It just should not be done. Sorry.