Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me combat corrosion
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I need collective wisdom to get a repair done to my rudder arms.

While I was pulling the boat ashore recently, I managed to snap both end caps that connect the rudder arms to the tiller crossbar.

I've got some spare rudder arms with good caps, so I duly drilled out the rivets. Now I find the caps on all of them are so corroded to the rudder arms that they don't budge. Vice grips and WD40 don't help. The way these are fused on, the rivets are superfluous!

So here's what I need your wisdom on: What can I use to loosen that corrosion and get the caps free? Can I soak them in something for a couple of days? Is it hopeless?

Thanks,

Al in Seattle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could use a Dremel with a grinding wheel to cut out the old caps since you're trashing them anyway. :dunno:

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that JamieZX is on the right path. Though I would first use a hacksaw to cut the tip of the endcap off. There will be a hole with the remainng endcap wedged in the Rudder bar. Then take one of the hacksaw blade holders that attach to one end of the blade. The are about $3 at home depot. Cut a slot in the endcap piece trying not to cut the tube of the aluminum rudder bar wall. Then flip it over and cut a slot in the other side. If you are careful and can get down to and not through the tube you will have two halves of the endcap in the tube. Take a punch and a hammer to dislodge each piece. You will have to clean out the corrossion with some scraping and maybe a bit of sanding so the new endcap will go in. This sounds like a lot of work but it will go pretty fast as all the parts are aluminum and will cut quickly.

Good luck,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have thought of that.

It will work fine for the broken caps.

The two unbroken ones, though, also are also fused in.

I supposed I can cut those out, too -- I'll cut from the outside, through the rudder arms. One of them is already broken. The other just has to bite the bullet and die.

But ... isn't there some chemical process that would that dissolve this corrosion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For a chemical that may help, but I suspect it is too far gone, you might try mixing up a batch of baking soda and water. This works on battery terminals and may work here. I think it could not hurt to try.

As far as cutting I would not cut from the outside, as in the tube. I was talking about cutting off the tip so you could cut the cap from the inside out to the inside wall of the tube. If you cut the tube you will weaken it. That is, if I understand what you are talking about.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PB Blaster comes in a spray can, and can be found in autoparts places near the Liquid Wrench or WD-40.

It's awesome.

None of my tool boxes are without a can.