Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The other day, bored with light air i was under my 16 and took the traveler line made a loop in it and was hangin on from the rear spreader bar in my trap harness. You can steer and operate the main sheet from under there especially with light air and after a bit of coolin i got a puff and could fly a hull from under neath with some super lite air. It was a nice shadeie place and got some interesting view of the different currents produced but the wind/lee ward hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey zingaro - I have photos somewhere of me doing that too. It is really fun and handy if you need a little "relief". :wink: You can actually do the same thing just hanging onto your tiller extension and using your feet to steer your body and thus the boat. I never hooked up with the diaper or bucket though.

There may be a drawback though....My better half reminds me of the time I was doing this and things got a little out of hand as I approached shore one evening. I had miscalculated the power and speed that I was about to be treated to by the evening-onshore breeze. The pressure of the water pulled my baggies from my waist down to my feet. :shock: Pulling them back up was not an option since I was unable to hold the tiller extension with one hand and pull them up with the other. While trying to do that I lost contact with the mainsheet. I tried like crazy to hang onto my suit with my toes as I felt it ever so slowly slipping away a bit at a time and eventually I was being towed into shore, buck-naked, behind my boat. :oops: Luckily our beach is all shale and I was able to land the boat, but of course unable to do anything but sit in the shallow water until someone would bring me a new bathing suit.

As I recall, the help I needed was a LITTLE less than forthcoming as I endured taunts of the hysterical crowd on shore who were happy to get me a beer but not any clothing. :lol:

So, as I said, don't do THAT! 8) Happy sails!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So you guys were just getting dragged along by the boat? That sounds like an excellent way to enjoy a light wind day.

You just tie a line onto the rear crossbar and hook it to your trap jacket and hang out back there.

I will have to give this a try.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: That's the way
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You don't really need a line if you extend your tiller full out, just jump over and hang on to the extension.

And make sure your bathing suit is tied on tightly :roll: The "life jacket only" look is not a good style on the public beach :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just hanging on the tiller extension doesn't bend the tiller cross bar?

I had envisioned a more complication setup.

Now to find some water around here that isn't filthy

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO