Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been looking around these forums for months, but this is my first real post. I just picked up a 78 (I think) H16 and I plan on spending the next few months getting it "up to snuff", painting, sails, new tramp, etc. Anyways, I'm thinking about putting jib furling on it, but I don't understand how this impacts the Jib Halyard considering you need to haul down on the jib to tighten the rig. Seems that pulling the whole jib and furler up with the standard block would make the exposed halyard twist up when furling, despite the upper swivel part of the furler. Is there some component that prevents this? Does the furling kit require shroud tensioners/adjusters to tension the rig instead of the jib? Does the Hobie furling kit some with a complete forestay setup? I have lots of questions huh!

Thanks,
JRG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I never had a hobie with furling kit... from my mono hull days I remember that the jib halyard configuration changes when you use a furling kit. The halyard basically runs up and down parallel to the forestay. The halyard is them cleated/tied somewhere around the tack if the jib. A swivel on top of your forestay allows for the required rotation.
Keep in mind that a furling kit requires a different jib. The furling style jib can not utilize battens (those do not roll well) - this results in no positive roach - which leads to low performance.
If "up to snuff" means comfort (or ease of use) then a furling kit might be a good idea - otherwise I would stick to the original configuration.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure how the H16 furling system works, but you may want to check out the H18 system. Just look in the support section and under the H18/18SX assembly manual. It will be easier than me trying to explain it here.

I don't know how common H16's with jib furlers are, but for economic reasons (keeping as many parts common as possible for spares) I would not bother with it. In teh five years I had my H16 the only time I wished I have a roller furling jib was when I was on my 10 day camping/sailing trips where I would leave the boat set up on the beach the whole time. I just didn't want to have to raise two sails for my morning sail :) . So I got a little spoiled.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Furler
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

The furler system come with an upper pig tail and swivel that hook to the head of the jib. You need a different jib (No battens and less roach) or you have to modify your existing one. The jib has the forestay cable sewn into the luff. Boats rigged with furlers do not tension the rig the same way that the standard 16 does. You step the mast with the jib in place, you don't hoist it. You have to hang on a trap wire, the main halyard or use the mainsheet system to pull the mast over to tension the shroud adjusters.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies. I think I understand the system now, I can't help but think that tensioning the rig like described sounds like a pain... especially if you do frequent trailering.

Thanks,
JRG