Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is a question to Hobie Cat regarding the rudder casting/tiller bolts on the 2005 Hobie 16s.

I am wondering if the upper and lower casting bolts are supplied by Hobie Cat, or put in by the dealers?

The bolts in that my boat came with where about an inch and half too long (Sharp bolt protruding through the nut at the end). This has caused damage to my sail cover, and recently my brand new rudder covers, and wore a nice hole through the gelcoat of the rudder to it's core..

So this weekend I decided it was time to fix this problem before any more dammage occured. My options where.

1) Sawing off the excess bold, and filing the end down
2) Finding rubber caps to put over the ends of the 4 bolts.
3) Hoping that I would find bolts exactly the correct length.

I did not like option 1, for fear I would never get the nuts off again.
I did not like option 2, because I figured the rubber caps would just fall off.

So off I went on my secret mission to West Marine, with the bolt I pulled from the lower casting.. After about 30 minutes of searching I found The Perfect Bolt!!

While the gel coat patch I had done on the one rudder was curing I took apart the other rudder casting, and the new boat was EXACTLY the right size, Tightened down, the bolt was just flush with the top of the nut.. Problems solved..

Now, the purpose here is not to complain, but to inquire as to why the new boats are supplied with bolts that protrude an inch and half through the bolts? It there a manufature tolerance here? Is it incase the nuts work their way loose after multiple times raising and lowering the rudder, and you will not loose the nuts? Trust me, with the damage I have sustained, it's not worth it... Why not just use the correct sized bolts? :?: :?: :?:

Or was this an annomoly on my boat?

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brent,

Out of curiosity, how did the extra long bolt which protryded through the nut wear a hole in the gelcoat of your rudder blades? Isn't the bolt normal (perpendicular) to the surface of your rudder blades?

to help speed up your search for a bolt of the correct length, next time measure the thickness of the assembly you want to bolt togeather, add the proper amount for the nut of your choice, then go to the stainless steel harware section, like you did, and look for bolts that are the closest to your measurements without being under. This will be the perfect bolt and you should be able to reduce yoru search time down to about 5 minutes.

I would doubt that Hobie Cat Co. would ship an assembled boat to thier dealers. So, it was probably the dealer who put the long bolts in.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Though I do agree that when you buy a brand new boat you expect all the correct parts to be used and not have to replace things like bolts right after you buy the boat.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: H16 Rudder Casting Bolts
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brent:

Like Hobie Nick, I'm having a little trouble visualizing (not doubting :!: ) how the bolts wore through the gelcoat and exactly where. Since I'm going to be ordering my new 16 here soon, your experiences are of particular interest to me.

Do you have any before/after pictures of the problem area? Also, did you bring up the problem with your dealer and, if so, what was their response? I hope everything is cool between you and all of the Hobie people, dealers and company people combined. They have all been really helpful online here and I imagine they would be at least as helpful in person (especially since you gave them money :shock: )

Also, did you ever get to the factory after the Wine and Roses regatta for a tour as you posted on my recent thread? How was it? I'll probably be going next month. Anyway, good luck with things.

PS - I think we met at an intro to Hobie Catting at UCLA some months ago. If you're who I think you are, you donated your old boat to the Marine Aquatic Center in anticipation of the one you just got. If you remember me, I was the UCLA Hobie instructor's assistant (too much work to actually sign up to be an instructor :wink: ) and talked to you after we closed up that day. At least I think it was you :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To follow up and to aswer both responses with one.

I found out the top casting needs the longer bolt, as the top casting is thicker, also from showing my handy work to my friend who helps me with repairs to my big boat (CAL34), the longer bolts had a larger NON THREADED area, which probbably was used to keep the threads from cutting into the rudder and the castings when the rudders are pivoted (Kicked up and down).

Stupid me, in my decision to look for and finding shorter bolts for the lower rudder casting, I didn't think of a cheaper/easier fix to my problem.

I took the bolts back to West Marine, and instead got 4 standard nutts to act as spacers to fill up part of the threads on the longer bolts that Stick out and cause dammage, and then put the Nylon Lock Nuts that came with the boat on top of these, thus covering the exposed threads.

To stress the point of my post to the gentleman who is waiting to buy his new boat, I have NO problems with the Hobie Cat Company, they make an excellent product, which they stand behind.. My original boat (Which belonged to my dad), lasted 30 years! More then half of those where spent rotting uncovered as a true "BEACH CAT", until we bought a trailer and didn't drag it up and down the sand everytime it was taken out. What more can you ask for, for such an inexpensive "PLAY" investment. By inexpensive I'm referring to cost vs. fun you and your familly will get out of the boat. My post was an inquiry only to the people who know their product the best! Get the new boat!!! You will not be sorry you did.

No sorry, I do not have pictures, I allready gel coated the hole (It was not all the way through, just through the white gelcoat to the hardened core). The repair itself took 10 minutes prep/work time, 24 hours of curing time, 15 minutes sanding and you can't even tell where the hole was.

I did not get to stop by, I ended up going back on Sunday, and ended up sleeping the entire day... :) Though somehow I need to get those course stickers... :D

To the other gentleman, You are correct!!! I was the one who donated my old boat to UCLA (Kinda interested in finding out what happened to the parts).. :D I heard that they couldn't use the tramp, Which I don't understand since I was only 2 years old, and in perfect condition, but oh well... :D I do rememeber you.. One of these days if I can get back there with the new boat, we have to go sailing :D

Take care everyone...

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well,

Put the original bolts back in, and put on 2 nutts, one a standard Stainless nut, then the Nylon lock nut. Fit on there perfect!! Will have to see how it does this weekend at the San Diego Classic.