Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HC16 alignment problem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sail an SX18 primarily but also have a 1979 model year 16. I´ve fitted it with new hulls and trampoline, but just cannot get the boat aligned properly. There is over 1.5 inches difference when I measure diagonaly from the top of the bridle wire screw to the rudder pin both sides, the left hull is further aft than the starboard hull. Please help me identify and solve this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did you check alignment before you tensioned the lacing of the new tramp? Was it possible to align the hulls without the tramp tensioned? Was it well aligned after the tramp was installed, but ended up misaligned after the first time out on the water?
New hulls.... IIRC at some point the design of the corner castings changed in order to accommodate hulls with a different pylon shape.
If the hulls are just "new to you" excessive play (wear) between pylon and corner casting would allow for more misalignment. Shimming or gluing might help here.
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The hulls went in very snugly into the pylons, and there is very little play. Which is the reason I´m having a hard time aligning the boat. I´m guessing the crossbars and siderails are not forming a perfect square in the corner castigs.

Post subject: Alignment
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:30 am 
Site Admin

Alignment.

It is somewhat typical that the frame when relaxed is not perfectly square. Slight changes in alignment of a pylon or core of a casting can tweak it.

Frame, measure then use a line across the longer measurement and tension to square or slightly beyond to limit "spring back", then tension the trampoline to hold.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)