Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailering a Hobie
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just a quick question on tying a Hobie down on the trailer. Am I better off to use ratchet straps and tie the boat down over the hulls(two on each hull) or is it better to use the tramp fame to tie the boat down to the trailer? I would think that if I use the hull method that it could cause some delamination. Thanks :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tie down from the pylons.

I just use ½" rope and a trucker's hitch from each pylon to the trailer frame (towards the center of the trailer, so all pylons are being pulled to center). Pull the trucker's hitch tight and you're golden.

Edit: Graphic of Trucker's hitch
------------------------

The top end is tied to the pylon, put a figure-8-with-a-beight knot in the line about halfway down from the pylon to the trailer, and then loop around some suitable part of the trailer, pull tight, and tie off. VERY EASY. :)

Jim

Last edited by JaimeZX on Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have the pylon tie down straps that work much better than the old strap over both hulls.

But you reminded me....

At the last regatta we attended I noticed a new 16 tied from the rear crossbar to the trailer frame with two rachet straps (insides of hull). Did not see how the front was tied, but assuming the same way. This guy is a real hotrod sailor so there may be some credence to not strapping across the fiberglass deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I do lots of trailering. With my H16 I used the friction lock straps around the pylons. They were quick and cheap.

On my H18 U ise ratchet straps on the front of the trailer and the friction lock on teh back. I do not crank the front straps down very much. Just enough to keep teh boat snug against the trailer rollers. And I do go over teh deck on the 18 as the tramp is in the way for going over teh cross bars.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:00 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The biggest danger in boat/trailer tie downs is flutter and chafe. A fluttering strap will leave nasty marks on the boat. Same with a strap that rubs back and forth - it's just like sandpaper.

I put 20,000 miles a year on my boats/trailer and I make sure that nothing is touching the hulls, other than the rubber trailer supports / cradles.

On each corner of the trampoline, I tie a loop of line around the sidebar. The "loop" is fed through the gap in the front trampoline down and toward the center of the boat and likewise at the rear of the boat. This gives me a place to hook in the "lever-over" type of straps that are permanently attached to the trailer frame. They look similar to this:
But they have a mounting plate on one end instead of a hook.

The result is a four-point tie down, nothing touches the hulls, and the boat rides rock-solid. Oh, yeah and it only takes about 5 minutes to attach the boat to the trailer for a 700 mile ride. :shock: