Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Condensation
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings All,
Yesterday while breaking down my 16 for refinishing and prep. for the approaching winter I rotated the trailer up bringing the drain plugs down. I was amazed at the amount of water which drained out. I drained the hulls after my last sail and did not expect this. Not having the ports forward of the tramp frame open had obviously retained all moisture inside, allowing it to condense and collect. The assembly manual does not speak much to storage or condensation control. I did not retrieve any results from a subject search within this forum. How have you managed this issue? :?:

Post subject: Storage and moisture
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Storage and moisture.

First, keep the plugs out. Second (as you have done) tip the trailer up so the boat will drain and leave it that way if possible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt! And then some for answering "on the weekend" I usually keep the plugs out until I plan to sail; then they go back in.

Regards,
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just dont forget to put the plugs back in before you put the boat in the water, it is amazing how a hobie tends to float great without plugs untill you get in the middle of the river and try to tack, then she likes to stand up on her rudders, no fun.

Post subject: Condensation control
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found water in my hulls, after the boat had not been on the water since '97, and with no recent snow or rain, the boat has been covered with a tarp. This was due to the condensation, and the only solution is ventilation. :roll:

I had previously installed hull ports in both hulls, but had closed them tight, not thinking about the condensation. I just removed the lids, and overnight the water dried up. I figure to leave uncovered till Spring and let dry all Winter. Makes me wonder how much water is absorbed into the foam core? I hope to dry out and avoid further delam of the core! Freezing that moisture in the foam can't be good for the hull! :oops:

For those with out ports, I would wonder about using a small fan with a tube attached that could be stuck into the drain holes, to inject air into the hulls. The tube would need to be pushed to the bow of the hull, so to get air circulation the full length. I don't know whether a small tube could get enough air in to do much good? But if the fan was left running continuously, it might help. TnT

Tinkerntom, aka TnT

and now a friendlier, "RkyMtnHootOwl"

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My laser has the same problem. What you want to do is get ahold of a small fan, like a computer fan. Put the fan inside the hull, plug it in, and leave it. This gets air circulating, which will dry out the hull alot faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

computeroman wrote:
My laser has the same problem. What you want to do is get ahold of a small fan, like a computer fan. Put the fan inside the hull, plug it in, and leave it. This gets air circulating, which will dry out the hull alot faster.

how do we get it into the hull if we havent deck ports:S

is there any way to have a hose connected to the actual drain, which pulls out air? and would those silicate anti-moisture things help? ..put em on a string, and put em in the hull when the hobie is chilling...then when u go for a sail, pull it out..