Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unitramp or two-peice?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We have both the older two-peice tramps and a few of the newer "unitramps" and have discovered that both have their good and bad points. the two-peice tramps are easier to install and give you more of a place to stand since we dont use trapeze, but the mainsheet also falls between the peices of the tramp allot more. and the unitramps are more difficult to install, especially if the mast step has been replaced and are more difficult to stand on while flying hulls, but the mainsheet does not fall through nearly as much. does anyone else have an opinion on this matter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't had the oppertunity to play with a unitramp, but I have to say I love the way the water sheets off my tramp. I know no one stays dry on a Hobie, but I dont like sitting in a puddle. =\
I am curious what other's have to say. I'm always open to new ideas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The material the Unitramp is made of is almost a fine mesh so water comes up through it with the waves but also falls right back through, no sheeting involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess it is more a question of preference... Do you prefer to sit in puddles or would you rather been sprayed with water from below the tramp. Some people argue that in colder regions it seems to be a good idea to have the solid vinyl tramp.
IMHO installation of the two tramps is not so different in effort. The problem with loosing the main sheet through the lacing can be fixed by a pice of mesh that can be placed between the lacing. A piece of wide webbing would work as well.

What I do not understand is what is the deal with the standing on the tramp? Does not sound like a good idea on vinyl or mesh...

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a one piece black mesh tramp and loved it. water did come through but never puddled like on stock vinyl 2 piece tramps. However the one piece never could get the boat real tight . The next tramp i would get would be a 2 piece mesh with the extra center piece strip so nothing falls through. The mesh seems susceptible to cigarette burns (vandalism) and i would recommend upgrading to the teflon thread if available. 16s do so much better when the tramp is real tight! The boats i mean. There are other threads here that have tricks on lacing them tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmm here in the tropics we have the mesh trampolines, the problem with the vinyl tramps i find is when it comes to actually pulling up a capsized boat. Especially when im sailin with a newbie -- i need to knw when to push the person off , and tell em to grab the dolphin striker, (this is jus a personal preference, and not a big deal i think).

Also since we get all kinds of really cool marine life here (whales, big tuna, sharks, portugese man'o'war, dolphins, and so on, i love having a view of the water below:)

its all a personal preference i think, and depending on ur favourites..U sail, u get wet, so i don think it matters much if u want to stay dry (u cant. its a hobie).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2 piece does get the baot tighter. If you want mesh, get the mesh 2 piece. You can also get them in solid vinyl. I also like that Hobie heat welds the tramps. No stitching to come unraveled.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

to clarify what i meant by standing on the tramp, i dont actually stand up on a tramp , but since we do not use trapeze (our boats are usually sailed with 3-5 people onboard) when soloing and flying a hull it is necessary to slow your leeward motion across the tramp, therefore you quickly learn to lock your heels into the lacing on the tramp, and themore feet you can lock in the more stable you are going to be on the boat, therefore it is easier to solo with a two peice tramp. I'm sure you racing guys will want to try some of our bad habbits at the next hobie nationals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scott,

I do the same thing when it is not windy enough to fly a hull and trap. That center lace is also good for storing a paddle for when the wind dies.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: sand castle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I find it intresting that no one has brought up the point that sand does not seem to wash away as easily on a vinal tramp....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thats a good point i had never noticed, but i cant remember ever having to shake the sand off of a mesh unitramp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

well generally...just sticking the hose pipe underneath the tramp, and taking off whatever little sand is left...is pretty much enuf...

Since i wash the boat every time i sail, i suppose i dont notice...

personally i prefer the mesh tramp.. easier to clean...dries faster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have left my boats on the beach for years and sand does acumulate on the tramps. Punching throuh the surf always seemed to do the trick or 5 gallon bucket with water. The mesh tramps always washed off better. At least florida sand. I bet the bahama sand might be different. After a rain sand was never on the mesh tramp as it was on the vinyls. Also there usually be dried up water lines from the rain on the vinyls that would have to scrubed a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You guys and all your problems...we wash the mud off our tramps with the hose at the fish cleaning station.