Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Hobie
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a Hobie 16 used, I need a new tramp and the port hull is 3/4 delaminated including around the aft pylon. Are there hulls out there for sale? I am debating if this hobie is worth restoring. The trailer has been restored along with the sail box. Can anyone help out there with material or advice?

Thanks

Mike

Tucson, AZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey man, it'd help if we had a few more details on where the delamination is on the hulls. You do occasionally see hulls for sale; check on ebay. I should be in Tucson next weekend so maybe on the 30th or thereabouts I can stop by and check it out if you want. Not that I'm as expert as a lot of people, but I'd be happy to render what advice I can. :)

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey EASLAZ whuzzup?
Right off the bat I would suggest you look over mmillers faqs on repair issues.
Second - visit Jaimezx's website where he has a detailed repair information with photos and then some
Third - use the available search feature to find TONS of other information on repairs and people with similar circumstances. Check the 17 and 18 sites too.

That should get you on a real good roll and take a day or two.

In the meantime, welcome home Jim !! 8)

you're lucky "E" to be in close proximity to a man of his talent!! Don't let him fool you, I think he is a lot more expert than he gives himself credit for I think :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks

There are 12" + areas all down the deck, both the sides have large delam areas as well. I have read up on the injection resin repairs and beleive this hull would take a few gallons. The area around the pylon in caving in to the center. I will check out some of the sites as well. If you are going to Tucson email me at [email protected]. I have repaired mono hulls in the past, this is my first Hobie. I was hoping to get on the water this year.

mike

Tucson, AZ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay man. I will confess that fixing soft spots is not my MOST competant area but maybe I can at least offer some general advice, at least of the "looking-over-your-shoulder-with-a-beer-while-you-experient" kind. LOL

Expect to hear from me in 9-10 days. Of course, if you don't want to wait that long then my feelings won't be hurt. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have found the date on the hulls, they were manufactured in 1974. That might explain thier condition. The sail is number 16124, but still in really good shape.

Any help of advice would help, I sure this project will go though a few cases of beer.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

EASLAZ.........You might look at using West Syatems two part epoxy. They have fillers you can use in the epoxy and different hardeners. I tried to fix delam in my hobie 16 with git rot and it failed. I think it was my fault :-( My next step is doing further investigation why I failed the first time and use the West System the second time. If you want to check them out go to www.westsystem.com :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For delam repairs on a small scale I would use Git Rot. It comes alreadymixed with a filler and also an easy to use dispenser bottle. If you have a large amount of repairs to do that will use epoxy, then I would check out either West Systems or MAS epoxy systems.

If you have a West Marine near by, they have West Systems. If not (or if you are looking fo a better deal) check out Jamestown Distributers (http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/). They will ship anywhere and I have gotten some very good buys from these guys for some other boating projects. They are also great for buying misc hardware if you can't find good stuff locally.

Just so everyone feels better, I used Git Rot to repair a dlem area approximately 12" wide by 24" long. That part of the deck is rock solid now.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to sell this boat quickly, I will not be able to finish all the work on the one hull prior to sale. I have a 16' 1974 hobie for sale with trailer. The trailer has a full length fiber glass sail box and hand winch. The sail are in great shape. I am asking $450.00. This boat is located is Tucson AZ. If you have interest call 1-520-235-9208.