Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Q for Tinkerntom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tinkerntom,
I was thinking of using the Gorilla glue and inside hull injection to fix the new delamination I discovered on my boat, it sounds like it is in about the same place as yours, forward the ports and on the sides of the hull. I am tired of drilling holes and matching yellow gelcoat is not easy. How is the gorilla glue holding up so farholding up so far?
Thanks, bannanahead, (john)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

john,

Pardon me for interfering with your question of T Tom.

but...What part of MO are you from?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Please understand that this is a new technique that is not endorsed by anyone else who has a lot more experience than me with these issues, and I have yet to sail the boat!!! How is that for a disclaimer!!! :wink:

So I don't know how it will hold up under fire. Also because I had to cut the port holes to gain access inside the hulls, now there are some 5" potential weak spots in front of and behind the pylons. I did use Hobie designated ports, so I am assuming that cutting the holes, is OK! :roll:

I was checking the boat out today, and all seems well. I did not need to do any soft spots on the hull, just on the decks, which are very firm now, with no soft spots remaining! :D

Using the normal injection of epoxy, one repair job reported that the first time someone stepped on the hull, the hull was soft again, and they resorted to filling the whole hull with foam. This seemed extreme to me, and a potential hazard since the solid foam could become waterlogged, and not provide the necessary floatation, and no good way to dry it out leading to further delamination, or access for further repair. :cry:

Using my technique, you can easily regain access to the hull and apply more glue whenever and where ever necessary. This could easily even be done at the sail spot overnight if a weak spot developed, since there is no special tools other than glue and shringe needed. 8)

Today, I was primarily checking for the condensation (see another thread about water in the hulls) which has dried up, having left the port lids off for ventilation. Reaching inside, you can feel some foam that has dripped down inside the hull, but I have no problem with that if the decks are firm, and it saves drilling and repairing all those holes through the gelcoat. :P

Through the ports, you would be able to access the sides as well as the deck, and I see no reason it should not work just as well. I still maintain that the Gorilla Glue foam is just as strong as the original structure. There was no apparent distortion, or further separating the layers of glass, so I have high hopes that come Spring '06, that I should be able to have a safe and successful shake down cruise. :lol: TnT

Tinkerntom, aka TnT

and now a friendlier, "RkyMtnHootOwl"

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tinkerntom wrote:
Also because I had to cut the port holes to gain access inside the hulls, now there are some 5" potential weak spots in front of and behind the pylons. I did use Hobie designated ports, so I am assuming that cutting the holes, is OK! :roll:

I'm just wondering why everyone seems to be installing ports using "drill the hole and screw it in" -method? By doing it "properly" one could sidestep pretty much all the problems. Reference to my earlier post: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=557 (two last replys) :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This thread is about fixing the delamination, installing the ports is another issue. I read your referenced post though, and appreciate your expertise regarding the proper installation of the ports. I reinforced my ports when I installed them, as you suggested, and I believe MMiller has also recommended the proper installation in his FAQS. However, I also know that if there is a weak point now, it is probably the 5" hole that is cut in the deck. Murphy's law says that is where it will fail, if it fails. I have learned that it is usually fruitless to argue with Murphy! TnT :wink:

Tinkerntom, aka TnT

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

to John Eaton,
I live in Rolla, MO but we sail at Stockton lake. It is quite a drive, but we have relatives in that area to stay with.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I went ahead and used the gorilla glue to fix some small areas of delam on the sides of my hulls. It seemed to work well and since I already had ports I didn't have to drill any more holes. I used one of the meat injecting syrenges they have at wal-mart, ( well it was the only one they had!), it did not work very good with the long needle, it bent and then broke. I luckly had another and I took a hacksaw and cut the needle down to about an inch. It worked ok, except when the foam clogged the hole at the end of the needle.
Hey Tinkerntom, what was the exact type of syringe did you use, brand, where you got it etc. The gorilla glue is also a lot thicker than epoxy and it was a real bear to inject it sometimes, but I learned if you backed out the needle just a bit it flowed a little better. I guess I will see how it hold up in the spring!
Regarding the ports, does anyone else out there have a problem with the outside rim cracking?, do you think I could just replace the outside rim? I need to replace both of mine, I repaired one a couple of years ago, the hole was not rounded correctly and it was not level on the hull.
Well she is in storage now and I just wanted everyone to know that I got my mast and boat in a storage shed that was 10 feet by 25 feet, and I didn't have to cut anything!! I think I'll rent a 30 foot storage unit next time though!!
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,

I dont know of any ports that are "two-piece" or have a separate outside rim. There was an "on the wire" article about cutting a piece of close cell foam to install between the rim and the deck, if it's in a location you can't avoid stepping on this may be worth trying.

Stockton is a well kept secret! My nephews brother lives in Nevada, and we all camp and sail out of Orleans trail park at the windsurfers beach. The guy I bought my 18 from has a 24' racer he's honing his skills with at Stockton before they retire to Guatamala on 42' Pierson. A co-worker also has a big "leaner" down there. It will interesting to see who brings in the neatest boat from the Chicago show next year. In the early 80's there was an active Hobie Fleet that hosted a two-day endurance regatta.

Let's talk next year, we'd like to come down and do some cruising.

ps checked the Stockton web site and a Hobie 20 and 17 raced in the Govenor's Cup (5.5 mile course) in September, let's mark our calenders for '06 ps

Last edited by John Eaton on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Gorilla Glue
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey bananahead, Good to hear from you and it sounds like you got it packed tight in the shed. I also have mine staked out and covered in a storage yard. Spent quite a bit of time Sat going over it and checking for any more soft spots, and found only one small spot that needs more glue. I figure I will wait till Spring to work on that small area, since it is easy to do and will only take 24 hours for the GG to setup, there is no reason to fuss with it more now. I left the hull port covers off, and it is good and drying in the hull. Hopefully no more delam during the freezing month, but next Spring I will know! :?:

I used a shringe that I got from Wal-mart, a little red handle, with clear tube, screw on needle. I had the needle bend as well, and cut it off. I figured out since writing last,that using a nail to punch through the glass mat would make the needle last longer. I staked out the soft area with nails from the inside, so that I could by feel determine where I needed to put glue, since I could not actually see the spot on the inside of the deck. I would leave the nails hanging in the glass until I was ready to inject the glue, and then just drop the nail and go in the same hole, with the needle. :idea:

In places it is hard to squeeze the shringe. My wife says I am the gorilla, and that I don't know my own strength! Anyway, someone may know a better tool to use. I have visuallize a hydralic pump, with a long hose, with a large strong needle on the end. That way you would not spend time filling the shringe, so you would need something with a reservoir, like a grease gun. Also then once you put the glue in it, you could just cap the needle, and not fuss with the glue in the shringe drying out! OOPs! :roll:

I was checking out the 1st shringe this Sat. and found that it is solid. I had cleaned out the glue as best I could, with acetone, and water, but it had enough left in it to set up solid. Luckily Wal-mart is stocked up for the holidays, so I bought a couple more for less than $3.00 ea. I guess that shows how strong and water resistant the glue really is, and that it does not take alot of the stuff! :wink:

Anyway, Spring can't come soon enough, and I am already getting a case of cabin fever. :( I will be hanging out here though in the meantime. TnT :D

Tinkerntom, aka TnT

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey John Eaton,
We sail out of Orleans Trail as well, but we put in at the ramp by the marina, which can be relly hairy sometimes. That is why I installed a furling jib, I once put my rudders up too soon, kept the sails up and the boat ended up playing spin the bottle with the ramp, the marina, the shore and anything else that was around. Needless to say I had only had the boat for a while at that time and I have since learned what not to do when coming ashore at the ramp, I had learned to sail on a ventura 24 and an AMF 26 paceship, so I was not ready for the cross winds at the ramp with the Hobie.
Where is the windsurfers beach you are talking about? I haven't been able to sail the last couple of years because of our baby, no time, money etc. He is almost 18 months old now and I hope to get some time next year to do a little sailing. I also had to get a new, (used) mast because my got bent in 70mph winds at Stockton a couple of years ago, I was going to buy one from a guy in St. Louis, but when my computer messed up a while back I lost his email address. The mast I bought seems a little different, it only has one hole on the mast tang. I bought the mast from Reed who runs the waterfront shop at Orleans Trail, and by the way the waterfront shop burned down last july, but I was told they were building a new one.
By the way, what is a"Big Leaner"?
It would be nice to be able to sail with some other hobies next year, how do I contact you? Is there a way to send messages other than the forum on this website?
See you,
Bannanahead, (John)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,

We launched from that marina ramp our first trip down, if you can negotiate that one you're a damn good sailor. The windsurfer beach is in the campground on the South side of the next cove South of the Marina. Check it out on mapquest.

Your new mast is like earlier than '78 (I think) model. You'll have to "stuff" your shrouds and trapeze wires in that one hole. Unless someone out there has a better idea?

A leaner, a wine and cheese boat, a mono-slug...cat sailer slang for a monohull. As you know there are really, really, big and fast "leaners" at Stockton.

You'll bring your son with, right? My neice and nephews boys are 3 and 5. We've got a 8 month old border collie/??? that should should be ready for some sailing next year.

There were some folks from Springfield who raced a 16 at the NCAC this year. There "used to" be a Stockton fleet, C&H sailcraft in Chanute, I believe sponsored their regatta, 'cause John also built like six or seven 40' mono's all at Stockton. I know he's retired and sold the Hobie shop and the new owner closed it down. I'll see if I can contact the Hobie people through the yacht club.

Can't PM from this site anymore, but you John and anyone else out there interested in sailing with us, or just going for a ride email me at [email protected] :wink: