Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We all know that you should replace your standing rigging every year to few years (based on usage, exposure etc). My 16 has the factory Hobie "Aussie" System...which is damn expensive to replace. Here are my questions:

Since the forestay is only supporting the mast when the jib is not up, how often do people replace this?
    Since, on the Hobie factory version (vs the one sold through Murrays), the pigtail is part of this unit and can not be replaced separately, does anyone replace the forestay because of this?
    Finally...the weirdest one. Does anyone replace the wire in the jib luff?

Thanks!

Andrej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Replace standing rigging yearly? Yes, it does stretch but that's why we have adjustable chain plates! Really though, I know of several racers that do change theirs occasionally but as long as the rigging is fine when you inspected it I see no reason to change it.

Coming from an aviation background we've had planes with 40 year old cabling in critical areas (flight controls) but you inspect it diligently and replace only when needed.

Spend that new rigging money on teaching someone new to sail :D

H16 #88638

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definately inspect it on a regular basis.

My H16 still has the original 33 year-old standing rigging (which I intend to replace sooner rather than later) but so far I haven't had any issues with it.

On the other hand, the H14 I bought this spring dismasted the first time I took it out on the lake when the starboard shroud let go. :?

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

drej wrote:
Does anyone replace the wire in the jib luff?

Anyone have an answer for this? I didn't see in the Hobie catalog a replacement part for the jib luff wire.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skipshot wrote:
Anyone have an answer for this?

A lot of wear on the shrouds are due to there movement (and ability to move) around the hound, shackle/s and trapeze wires. On every tack one side is loose and when you come about tightening again (sometimes quick and hard), consequently the turnbuckle ends may snag on things and over time it becomes mangled or a strand of wire will break.

Comparitively speaking, the jib is a lone ranger up front by itself with a relatively constant pressure on the wire and nothing to wear against. Certainly check it for wear, but I have never heard of one being replaced.

Post subject: Jib wire replacement
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I replaced the jib wire on my 82 nationals boat after 20 years of use. The wire was in fair shape (no broken strands). I had a sail maker do it and I thought it was worth the miney. I was glad I did it. Since 1982 I have had only one demasting and that was due to a broken twisted toggle on the side stay.