Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:58 am
Posts: 152
Location: Lake Norman, NC
Yes, came with.

Image

_________________
1990 "Formula 1" H16 (# 009)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:15 pm
Posts: 443
Location: Washington DC/Chesapeake Bay
THANKS, again, Sebring!

_________________
'81 H16

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:50 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 am
Posts: 1
My new boat came with the shroud extenders but missing the white plastic coated leash for mast. It appear that it goes through the downhaul cleat around front of tramp and up to shackle onto mast foot, using holes for mast stepping device. If that is correct would you have any idea of the length of this piece of braided steel cable. Any additional pictures or mounting advise of the strap would be great


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:29 pm
Posts: 5
Location: south jersey
whered you attach the bottom of the wire on your mast, i see it runs through the cleat, where does it go from there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:37 pm
Posts: 152
Location: Sechelt, BC, Canada... Sunshine Coast
How hard was it to get the pin out???
When my boat goes over there is still tension on the shroud.
I found it not impossible, but hard to pull the pin.

_________________
1980 •Hobie 16- Karumba sails - soft hulls now a Row-B-Cat1983 Hobie 16 Tsunami sails - blue hulls-Sold •Present boat -1998 Hobie 16 Solana Sails furling jib
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
crobiecat wrote:
Is anybody having experience with the Big righting bag from Murrays ?
From other threads, it seems to work fine, but I am not totally convinced.
My current (small) bag is leaking so much that is is useless. I did seal the stiches, and it is better, but I need a bigger bag for solo, and I'd like one leak free.


That's what I used. Keep it mounted under the front of the tramp stored in a Hobie storage bag. Easy access, easy to use with the shoulder race !!!
Image

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:48 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 am
Posts: 109
Location: London
Hi could you please inform me of the lengths of the shroud extender cables as well as the mast safety wire.
I am based in the UK and the cost of shipping these over is rather expensive, well i should really say extortionate, but I do have access to a wire rope crimping machine :-)

Thanks,
SRG

_________________
Hobie 14 Turbo (~1979)
Hobie 16 Carumba (1983)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:16 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:24 pm
Posts: 35
SebringSixSpeed,

Did you paint you mast and cross bars white or did that year boat come like that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:13 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:58 am
Posts: 152
Location: Lake Norman, NC
Came like that from Factory. limited run. "Formula 1" series.

_________________
1990 "Formula 1" H16 (# 009)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 am
Posts: 20
DavidBell47 wrote:
crobiecat wrote:
Is anybody having experience with the Big righting bag from Murrays ?
From other threads, it seems to work fine, but I am not totally convinced.
My current (small) bag is leaking so much that is is useless. I did seal the stiches, and it is better, but I need a bigger bag for solo, and I'd like one leak free.


That's what I used. Keep it mounted under the front of the tramp stored in a Hobie storage bag. Easy access, easy to use with the shoulder race !!!
Image



hy! what do you mean by "shoulder race" - did that come with the righting bag? my muray-righting bag just gets the mast out of the water, then the bag hangs in the water, i would need to make a chin-up to pull the boat, but didnt succeed yet. and the weight of the righting bag rope on the soulder causes pain..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
rudi9999 wrote:
DavidBell47 wrote:
crobiecat wrote:
Is anybody having experience with the Big righting bag from Murrays ?
From other threads, it seems to work fine, but I am not totally convinced.
My current (small) bag is leaking so much that is is useless. I did seal the stiches, and it is better, but I need a bigger bag for solo, and I'd like one leak free.


That's what I used. Keep it mounted under the front of the tramp stored in a Hobie storage bag. Easy access, easy to use with the shoulder race !!!
Image



hy! what do you mean by "shoulder race" - did that come with the righting bag? my muray-righting bag just gets the mast out of the water, then the bag hangs in the water, i would need to make a chin-up to pull the boat, but didnt succeed yet. and the weight of the righting bag rope on the soulder causes pain..


Well, the bag alone isn't gonna right the boat all by itself. You will have to get the bag out of the water and away from the boat as far as possible in order for it to work efficiently. The bag I used holds approx 80 lbs of water. That's probably no something you're gonna be able to lift out of the water while holding on to your righting line.

With the boat on it's side in the water, I remove the bag from storage and throw it over the bow of the boat. The bag line should be long enough to submerge the bag with about 2 or 3 feet of extra line. Here is where the shoulder race comes in. All it is is a hollow piece of foam rubber about 1 1/2 to 2 feet long that fits over the bag line. After the bag is filled with water, make sure the shoulder race is on the end closest to the bag. Then gather the access line tieing it into a loop knot as close to the hull as possible. Do all of this before attending to the righting line. Then, after positioning the righting line, raise the shoulder race allowing it to rest on your shoulder as you hold the righting line. As you lower your body adding tension to the righting line, the the shoulder race will allow the bag line to slide over your shoulder. At the bottom of your righting position, when you fully extend your legs, the bag will come up and out of the water giving you the added weight you need to right the boat. Hope ths helps !!!

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:28 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 am
Posts: 20
thanks, that might do the trick. i alredy tried as you described, but without a "shoulder race" and as soon as i lean out and press the bag out of the water the boat lifts, but it just lifts so far that the mast is out of the water (parallel to the water). thats the point where it ends, because the bag touches the water.. i´ll try with a righting pole now, as this bag method seems a little tricky..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:21 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: Los Angeles
rudi9999 wrote:
thanks, that might do the trick. i alredy tried as you described, but without a "shoulder race" and as soon as i lean out and press the bag out of the water the boat lifts, but it just lifts so far that the mast is out of the water (parallel to the water). thats the point where it ends, because the bag touches the water.. i´ll try with a righting pole now, as this bag method seems a little tricky..


Was going to suggest the righting pole as an alterantive. There's a post about a 2 X 4 righting pole that I thought was quite interesting. You may want to check that out !!! Hope everything works out for you. :)

_________________
Image
Happy Sailing,

David


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Durham NC
Just got a hold of one of these. Mast safety wire is 37 1/2" from the tip of the thimbles. Shroud Extenders are 14" tip to tip. Should be pretty easy to make and then just order the quick pins. The shroud extenders use a thicker wire than the mast safety wire. I don't have a thickness gauge here but I'd probably say the shroud extenders are about 4mm in thickness. They appear to be the same thickness as the shrouds and the mast safety wire would be one size down, 3mm?

Good luck.

_________________
1984 Hobie 16


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group