Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harnesses and Hooking In
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I posted this awhile back on the other forum and thought I'd post here to get some other opinions. I have a few questions about tapering and harnesses. I’ve done searches and have found many answers to questions but I still have a few.

I've mainly been looking at the Murray's catalogue: http://www.murrays.com/archive/46-47.pdf I can't really decide which system is best, the hook w/ a quick release (Item A) or the key hole system (Item G). I'm sure there are people out there that have used either of these or if you know of something else that is better. I also don't know what the difference is between the buckle type hook, and the spreader bar. I mean I've seen pictures of the two but don't really know the pro's and con's of each. I think I'm leaning towards the key hole system (Item G) because I feel it's safer than the hook in kind. Can you put the key hole buckle on a spreader bar. I've read some stories about people flipping and getting their hook stuck on a shroud with a boat on top of them, yikes!!! I guess that's what the quick release is for, but I also think that with my sailing skills I'll probably end up punching a hole in my hull, or tearing the tramp with the hook. I'm also worried about capsizing while trapped out, how's that work? Do you think the "Key Hole" system would allow one to disconnect easily if the boat's flipped or about to flip?

I also need to get a new harness; the one that came with my boat is well from the dark ages. It's a butt bucket with shoulder straps. I really have no idea what kind to get. I know I won’t be going with a “nappy” style, just looking at the design of these it is clear that as a guy they’re not going to be comfortable. Do you guys have any opinions about the “Gul” harnesses? I think I want a full harness for the back support, but is a full harness comfortable to just sit in when not trapped out? Does any one know of any places in Northern Cali that I could go to try them on?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good questions which can also be answered by a Hobie Dealer. There's one in, or near, Sac-a-tomatoes, just click the dealer finder. Otherwise I'll stay out of this discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I most certainly am going to consult my hobie dealer, I just wanted to get responses from the forum as well. Just want to get as much information as I can.

I also thought of another question for those of you who use the key hole system; How wide is the actual spreader key hole buckle, is it equivilant to a hook on a spreader bar?

Thanks again,

Adam