Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sail options for the 16?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I know the answer, but I sail in an area that could use a reduced area main sail for the 16 much of the time until I really get the hang of it. I had an 18 in Buzzards Bay some years ago, and maybe am just getting used to the 16. Does anyone know of a source, or if this is just a bad idea? :idea:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surprised to hear this. Most of us solve the problem by getting heavier crew, that usually does the trick. When the wind is howling, have you tried letting the traveller out all the way? Loosening the outhaul and downhaul and battens? (Gives a more rounded sail shape, which is less efficient and thus de-powers the main.)

I used to sail an older H16, which had a grommet on the luff of the main, around 1/4 up from the bottom, which allowed one to reef the main. I never needed to , but I am told that one should set up reefing on shore. If you have a newer H16, see if you can find an older one, and duplicate the reefing points: that is, if you can't find the right crew.

Good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ooops, I meant to say 'tighten the battens' to give a more rounded sail shape, thanks for pointing this out. I understand this H16 came from the 2003 Puerto Rico Worlds, which means it probably has a mast leaning waaaaaay back. How about setting the mast more vertical?

Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Guys,

Although I am no H16 expert, as I understand things via a lot of reading and some experience in aircraft aerodynamics, one must tighten the downhaul, outhaul and mainsheet (where applicable) in high winds in order to FLATTEN and thus de-power the sail. A rounder, fuller sail creates MORE lift, efficiency and power (just like it does with an aircraft wing) thereby making control in high winds more of a problem due to too much power. Loosening up those controls in a hard blow may be the cause for an unplanned swim - not always a bad thing.

This theory of downhaul/outhaul/mainsheet stems from the understanding that sails, when laid down on a flat surface are seen to be created/cut with a curved luff. When this curved luff is placed on a "straight" mast, the whole sail develops a curved (concave) shape which is further accentuated by the use of batten tension. The curved (fuller) profile ultimately gives the sail its power. Pulling hard on the downhaul actually bends the mast/luff and allows the sail to assume more of its natural flat cross-section and the sail loses power as a result.

Loosening the battens also allows for a flatter, less powerful sail.

If I am wrong on this, I trust one of the more experienced members will set me straight.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit. Of course, reefing would be the best solution if you can do it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been racing cats for 25 years (9 on a Hobie 16) In all those years I've never had the need for reefing a main sail. We travel with a near minimum crew weight for racing (130kg). In heavy breeze it's not a question of crew weight - it's a question of sailing technique and setting the sails up right.

Captain Dave is correct. A flat sail will depower you.

My tips for heavy air sailing...

1) Leave mast raked back as per Worlds Settings i.e. in heavy air should be block to block. Let's face it if it's been sailed at a Worlds it's probably been tuned right.

2) Battens pushed in just to take out wrinkles. Harder battens in top 2-3 if you're still overpowered (shouldn't be neccesary though)

3)Downhaul pulled on till it feels you'll pull the sail apart. This flattens the sail, bends the mast and opens up the leech (back of the sail) thus depowering.

4) Let traveller out bit by bit till the boat is balanced and sailing flat and controlled with both skipper and crew on the trapeze. If it's really blowing like snot the traveller can be 12 to 18 inches out. As the traveller goes out match the jib track to this.

5) If your still overpowered realease jib halyard tension by a few millimetres. This will lean the mast to leeward slightly thus depowering more.

Good luck. These settings work. They are the proven formula for sailing a 16 in heavy wind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Heynow... Check out the european Hobie pages... There a 16 can be ordered with a smaller rig... I think they might call it a Junior rig let me see if I can find it.

http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?produits,hobie_16

lock at the end of the page... it is called Easy/ Junior. A main is about 3/4 of what a regular Main would be. IIRC the changes ar mostely in the main so that later the ustomer could decide to use a standard main sail on those boats.

The other option is, sail with someone who is more experienced with more wind and get used to the boat. I rearely complain about days when it blows too much.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to sincerely thank those that answered my question. I have honestly been tied up with too many other things to get out on the boat lately, though will discard my thoughts of reefing the sail as I was used to doing on monohulls. It appears that the 16 has enough tuning capabilty to deal with just about anything - I will tighten things up when it is blowing!