Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to unload a 16?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I have a 79 keoke with soft hulls. I have come to the decision that I need to sell it and move on to a better boat a little later in life. My question is how to get rid of my boat? I got duped when I bought it ( plus I knew nothing about hobies). I don't want to be a jerk and do the same thing to the next guy... So do y'all think it is worth it to part it out? I need to get 6-800 bucks if I can... I replaced almost all the standing and running rigging so I know that has got to be worth something. Besides the hulls and the original tramp everything seems decent.

So what should I do? It has a trailer and everything too... I just hope I can get my 600 back...

Anyone wanna buy it? Southern Oregon by the way :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Should change your subject to something meaningful so you get more hits. I initially thought you needed help getting the boat off the trailer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I know of a guy who parted out a reasonably good Hobie 14 and ended up getting a lot more then what used boats were going for at the time. It took him about two months to unload it all. While the market for 16s is not the same as that for 14s I do think there is good demand for used 16 parts out there. I would guess that just the trailer, mast and set of sails, each sold individually would likely net you your $600. Then anything beyond that would be gain. You just have to decide if the hassle of packaging it all and dealing with the UPS guy etc. is worth it.

If you decide to part it out, I suggest you put an ad in the classified section on this site (http://www.hobiecat.com) (Sailboat - Classified). Title it something like "Parting out H16" to make it clearer to readers. I would also suggest you put o similar ad in the used parts section of http://www.beachcats.com. And, of course, there is also your local craigslist and even eBay. It's all free except for eBay, I believe.

To get a ballpark idea for pricing, here is a guy that sells used Hobie 16 and 18 parts regularly:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds ... 1372/cat/4

Also, here is a guy that also sells used parts and he explains how he ships a mast:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/module-foru ... l#pid24545

With all of that said, are you sure you really want to get rid of the boat? It sounds like you have already put quite a bit if time and effort into it. If it was me, I think I would bite the bullet and look for some decent replacement hulls and maybe a new tramp. You could even buy a second 16 and use one as a parts boat. I bought my first Hobie in 1978 and they have been worth every nickel I ever put in them and its a lot more than $600. :mrgreen: No regrets. They simply are too much fun.

Regardless, whatever you decide to do, good luck.

Dave W
Tampa, FL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You might be able to get what you want but it sounds a little high. I'm from Indianapolis though and hobie value may be different in your area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Most of the stuff small enough to ship I've put on eBay and done well. The bigger stuff (mast, beams etc) you'll probably need to put on Craigslist to sell locally. Remove all fittings and cut the hulls up with a reciprocating saw. Put a couple pieces in your trash can every week until they are gone. Probably not the greenest method but I don't know any good way to recycle hulls. Don't do anything this time of year. Wait until spring time to get top dollar. I agree with others here though. Buy another boat and keep this one for parts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Clean and repair it to the best of your ability and then put an ad on craigslist with pictures and links to cool hobie stuff. If you want 600, list it for 750 firm.

Also offering delivery with reasonable mileage might help.