Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: spin pole broke
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

While sailing the new asymmetical spinnaker was a blast, there seemed to be way to much pole bend on a close reach (maybe 8 inches). True to form the Alum Pole broke at the mid point, where the two parts fit together.

1. Was it rigged wrong (the pole "stays" were precut).
2. Was it not meant to be used ahead of a beam reach?
3. Is there a replacement pole? (just need the end extrusion)

While expensive...I would still do it again. may be I'll just chop up an old windsurfer mast...

sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had planned on using a windsurfer mast for a spin on my h 16 but then decided not so i got one for sale if your interested Its standard tapered and about 20/25 ft long. Talking to Rick White he recommended cutting off the bigger end but thats up to U
$50 if you can use it......im in Southern IL if its close ?.........z

Post subject: spin pole
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you probably rigged it incorrectly. The Hobie16 spin pole looks like an Opti mast (over built). Go to a metal store an get an aluminum pole the same length and diameter(so the snuffer will fit) for 20 dollars. I do not remember the marine grade AL numbers;if no onedoes on this site ask on catsailor open forum. Un screw and drill out the old fittings and drill holes in the new pole and replace. Take the cross bar fitting to the metal store to make sure it will fit. Then ask someone with spin experience how to rig it and to take you on a test sail. I think the hobie16 with spin will be a ratings killer and a great way to learn spin sailing. I've had a lot of fun sailing it with my son who is preparing for the youth worlds. I agree with the Hobie one design policy but for $1500 the spin kit is a bargain for anyone who wants to go fast,win the Portsmith game or finsh the Round The Island race before midnight on a hobie16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I rigged a 16 spinnaker. It is a lot like rigging the Tiger spinnaker. There are five lines that have to be on the pole. After connecting the front crossbar to hold the pole to the boat. There are four lines that hold the pole to the bridles of the boat. Two from the front end of the pole and two from the middle of the pole. Then there is a line the holds the middle of the pole up taught toward the forstay. You will tighten this line last. When you do you will want some bend in the pole at that point. From the front to the back of the pole you will see about 2 to 4 inches of prebend. The middle will be pulled up. The front two lines will keep the pole from folding up or to the sides while flying the spinnaker. The middle lines to the bridles stablize the middle, to keep it from folding there. Sounds to me like there was a set of lines missing or not cinched up tight enough.

Later,
Dan