Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone purchased the new EPO rudders and installed them on the old-style aluminum casts?

As I understand things, the new rudders may not fit and require the older casts to be shaved (opened up) by grinding away metal in order to allow the thicker EPO rudders to fit.

Anyone done this already? Care to share your experience/opinion on the matter?

I`d like to give it a try, but want to hear from the "been there done that" crowd first.

Thanks

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Old or new castings will usually have to be filed to fit old or new EPO's.
Not a big deal. Use a file or grinder and then dress with some emory or something in your Dremmel kit.
Make sure you get the castings smooth so you minimize the scratching on the new pretty rudders.
Even brand new boats should have the casting cleaned up. They always have burs on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmm.... not sure if I understand this right.
The rudder blade thickness where they fit in the casting is about 22 mm. The casting is often about up to 25 mm wide. I do not think there is a difference between old (non adjustable) and newer (kind of difficult to call this the new style since this style is at least 20 years old) when it comes to this messurement. In order to make up for the discrapency in thickness you have to shim with the material of your choosing.
When I got my fiberglass blades (I think I have original Hobie upgrades and not EPO's) I had to remove quiet a bit of material at the casting where the forward edge of the blade hits the casting. This is the area where the casting is threated for a plastic stop bolt. It is very difficult to use a power tool or a hand file in this situation. I spend a good hour on each side. If this confused you more than it helped, I could send you pics...

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Patrick,

Nope, ya didn`t confuse me - at least, I don`t think so.

As I interpret your post, the actual opening of your casts was adequate in terms of its 25mm width. It was more an issue of depth restricted by the most forward part of the inside of the cast. In other words, the rudder slid into the cast just fine, but not far enough for the holes to line up because it (the rudder) was butting up against that inside forward surface.

Is that correct?

Dave