Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbe 16 owner, Hi!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
I just bought a tired '75 Hobie 16 for $400. The only other Hobie I have had was a Hobie 12 Mono-cat when I was 10 - 13 years old. I've just turned 40 y.o. Anyway I've always been fond of Hobies.

I may be sailing by myself this fall - too cold for most people! I rigged the 16 for the first time today. I wan't sure I would be able to rig it by myself but I got it done. I had to use a rope attached to one of the trap. wires. The rope went through the eye on the trailer mast support. I tightended the rope with one hand while hoisting the mast with the other. Once I got it up I jumped down while holding tension on the rope and hooked up the fore stay. I practiced that move a couple of times to make sure I could do it safely.

Since we tend to have a fair amount of wind here in Santa Cruz. How well does a 16 sail without the jib with the main reefed?

Is there foam in the hulls?

When sailing in the ocean by myself should I wear a safety line to the boat?

I'll be wearing a full wetsuit, hood, booties and a life jacket. I'm thinking I should have a flare gun as well. I guess a paddle should be part of my safety gear too. I should wear a good knife too.
I'll have spare hardware on the boat and some spare line. Anything else?

I do have a mast float I could put on the mast.

I weigh about 195. Do I need a water bag to right the boat?

I have alot of respect for the Pacific around here and want to be prepared sailing alone out there. Years ago I had to paddle my windsurf gear in from way out ( after de rigging in the water ). It wasn't fun dangling in the water thinking about sharks and what cliff I would end up at with the surf pounding against it.

Treven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You *really* need to contact the Santa Cruz Hobie fleet for answers to your questions for your safety. They'll have tips on how to get through surf, what to do if you need help on the water, proper gear, etc. As for sailing in cold weather, I can say from brief experience that when your hands get too cold you lose your grip, which is important in holding the sheets and tiller, and unrigging the boat. Also, contact the Santa Cruz Harbor for information on beach storage from March-October, and there are many cats stored there. I called, and it's $45/month, and during the off season you need to move the boat off the beach to their storage area.

And welcome to the club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

think about a marine raido (water proof hand held)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My first sail on a Hobie 16 today! It was 82 degrese here in Santa Cruz - freak Nov. day! Left the harbor at 9 am and got back about 1 PM. Went about 3 miles off shore. It was kind of scarry actually. If anything had gone wrong there weren't many boats around. I had flares but I'm not sure anyone would have seen them. I'm going to buy a VHF.

It was really fun. The trampoline is starting to rip thou so I can't sail again till I get the new one I bought on ebay.

The wind started light but increased giving me a chance to feel out the boat. I'm guessing it got up to about 15 kts. of wind. That is about all I'd feel comforatable single handing in right now. I had my girlfreind with me on this trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

awesome! I think the hobie 16s are the best at 15 knots or so, easy enough to handle, and fast enough to give you a thrill!

if your going out on the water, the small pocketknife or something you carry should be on the tramp, or both of u shud have one you never know WHO might be under that tramp.

If you get worried or scared about winds, make sure, you pull traveller out, to depower the boat, and pinch up to the wind. This will keep you going relatively slow, and give you control.:)

Plus if your going single handed, make sure you give ppl a flight plan, and tell em that if u don call by say 6PM to send out sm1 to look for u!

Last piece of advice. If you EVER get stuck in winds that you dont think are safe at all, Head up to the wind, capsize the boat, then turtle it. Sit on the hulls, and wait for help. Make sure you keep your water supplies and so on there. You've got a GIANT keel, so hopefully nothing should go wrong:)

BTW take this all with a bit of salt, dont let it scare u off from the awesome-ness of sailing:) just some safety tips, incase you get caught out there with ur pants down.