Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HULL COLOR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 1974 H-16 orange/redish hulls with a yellow deck. The hulls need touched up a Couple of long scratches. Can anyone tell me what the color was used in the early 70's. Or where I could get my hands on some.

Can any one tell me the history on the early colored hulls I have noticed JamieZ has the same colors, with white sails did they all come with white sails then, if there were colors what were they? By the way Jamie nice web site.

Thanks, Todd C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check on www.thebeachcats.com

They have a bunch of cool stuff, and in the pictures sections HULL/SAIL color charts.

Brent
1975 Hobie 16
S# 13566

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HA! Finally someone with the same colors as me! :D Glad you liked the site. Apparently colored sails were an option back then but my dad didn't get them. The boat came as he ordered it.

For touch-ups you can get a West Marine gelcoat repair kit, which includes a bunch of dyes and some polyester resin/hardner. Here's something I learned the hard way - when mixing in the dyes, squirt the yellow FIRST and then add a tiny bit of red at a time to it to get orange. In fact, squirt the red somewhere else and use your coffee stirer (or whatever) to mix in just a teeny dab at a time.

One thing I tested and decided I like better is to mix that same dye in with epoxy. Still works! Now I need to find out if I can get more dye without the resin. :)

Jim

Post subject: Resin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jim, I will get that Kit Sorry to here about your spill sounds like it was cooking. I hope your girl friend is still siked to go out I took My boat out a couple of weeks ago for the first time every thing works and is in good order. I used my farmer john with some fowl weather gear wasn't to bad but I can't wait for Spring. I will Need to get a Comptip, If I want to race. More winter projects :lol: My wife Is starting to wonder Who I like more. Balance is the Key.

Todd C