Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new to the sailing world, and have had this hobie cat for just about a year. I took off all the riggings for the winter, and now I can't remember how the jib rope went. It's a 1973 boat, and I haven't had much luck on the internet. I've searched through this forum, but no luck. I can't find any diagrams, instructions, pictures etc. that help me. I'm not sure if I have it right, but would really like to know for sure. If anyone knows of a good spot on the internet, or can even send me a picture of their jib riggings, that would be wonderful. Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do you have an assembly manual, if not you can find it under the support link. There are numerous helpful things under the support link. I'd try there first, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't have an assembly manual, and everything I've found on the internet hasn't been very helpful. But please post any links that you have, maybe it would be something I haven't seen yet.

What I'm really looking for is a picture of the jib rigging so that I can copy it. I'm not very good with the sailing teminology.

Post subject: Manual
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link to the manual:

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/H16_Manual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

no offense to hobie, but that manual is TERRIBLE. i tried to use it to rig mine as well, but couldn't figure it out at all. the pictures are too dark; and the directions aren't very clear and are hard to follow at times.

i had to ask someone to help me w/ rigging the first few times until i got it down. i'd suggest doing the same.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ya, the manual is horrible. I can't figure anything out. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go to a local shop and see if they can help me out. If anyone has any good pictures of their jib rigging, and wouldn't mind posting them. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1973 16, So it should be 2 Seway spring loaded blocks with cam cleats. Then 2 blocks on a shackle on the clew of the jib.

Okay You should have one piece of line for the jib sheet, Tie a bowline on the top of one of the cam cleats (There should be a spot to do this), Run the line up to the cooresponding clew block, Go in the top and come out the bottom of the clew block, the line then goes into the back of the seaway block and out through the cam cleat, Take this AROUND the trampoline and go in through the front of the cam cleat and out the back of the seway block up to the other clew block (In through the bottom and out the top), bring the line back down to the top of the seaway block, and tie a bowline (Just the opposite of what you did on the other side)

Does this make any sense?

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No, but I'll give it a try. If you could draw a diagram or anything that would be awesome. I'm not too familar with the terminaology, but I'll definatly give it a try. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing I would clarify is Around the tramp meant, around the mast on the tramp.

Diagram? Me? Are you kidding?, I'm useless with drawing. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey man, you MIGHT be in luck!

I have the original Hobie 16 Assembly manual that came with out 75 boat, it is actually professional printed, I will see if I can scan the pictures and the descriptions of them, if you can give me an address on where to send them.

I don't know how old this is, but it has the Hobie 14, Mono 12, and 16 instructions. From when Coast Cataman was up in Irvine...

AND NO!!! You guys CANT have it (Unless you pry it out of my cold dead hands..) MUWAHAHAHAHA :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some things must be demonstrated in the beginning, and once they are you don't easily forget. The 16 is pretty easy to rig once you figure it out. The good thing about the boats is that they are so popular that you shouldn't have trouble finding someone to help, just keep cold beer available for compensation to the good soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hm oddly enough the hobie euro site has a MUCH better manual (in terms of picture quality). it's kinda annoying cos it's in 3 languages, but maybe it'll help you.

http://www.hobie-cat.net/download/manuels/hc16.pdf