Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OMG. World Peace in the Hobie 16 World. The guns have stopped firing, the war is over...............

Now, about the 6:1 downhaul and I saw mention of a 3:1 outhaul. What is that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm glad I switched from mechanical to electrical engineering :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer wrote:
OMG. World Peace in the Hobie 16 World. The guns have stopped firing, the war is over...............

6:1 down haul is stacking boats on a trailer to sail in Mexico

3:1 out haul is only bringing 2 cat tracks so you have to pull boats on the beach 3 at a time

sheesh, I thought everyone knew that ...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RHoughVYC wrote:
sxrracer wrote:

6:1 down haul is stacking boats on a trailer to sail in Mexico

3:1 out haul is only bringing 2 cat tracks so you have to pull boats on the beach 3 at a time

sheesh, I thought everyone knew that ...

:mrgreen:

ok, so you only have to make 3 trips with 2 pair of trax.......... so, that means you only leave 2 pair of trax in the sand............ Never would have figured that out..........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

rattle 'n hum wrote:
If the sum of all the forces is zero, and the force in that section of the Aussie halyard is 1/3 of the older system in that section, then there has to be more force in the other components attached to the mast (pigtail and shrouds).

That by itself is not valid logic. Less force somewhere doesn't have to mean more force somewhere else. It can mean less force somewhere else.

Quote:
And I submit to RH's point that it's not compression that causes the bending. Since the halyard is located outside the mast column, it's actually a moment with a very short arm, no?

I agree, too. The moment is a small component of the overall force (the rest is compression) but the bending is all we care about. 1/3 the halyard tension acting on the mast between the tang and the cleat, 1/3 the compression, 1/3 the bending moment. That's really the whole thing in a nutshell.

If anyone wants to start this over with a clean mind, think about it like this: Use the Aussie halyard. Then tie two lines to the tang, install two more cleats on the side of the mast, and then tension and cleat the two lines the way you did the Aussie halyard. Now you have three tight lines trying to bend the mast instead of one, no extra loads anywhere else. That is exactly the difference.

'00 H16 #104691 - '78 H16 #32692 ex-rental - Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7