Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: more solo sailing
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I just got a great deal on a Hobie 16 and have a couple questions about sailing it solo. First, does anyone have any experience trapezing and sailing alone? I've seen pictures but it seems like it would be tough to be out there in a harness and control 2 sails and the tiller (or do you set the jib and leave it?). In general, what happens to a person in the harness when a Hobie capsizes? Does this person have to quickly unclip from the dog bone?

Also, any tips about turning upwind would be great. I got pretty good at it with my H14 but have had trouble with the 16 so far. I haven't figured out exactly what to do with the jib while tacking yet.

I'm getting a book to read up on some of this, but any quick tips from you Hobie pros would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailing a Hobie 16 solo is a lot of fun! With the weight of the crew missing you do not encounter many pitch pole symptoms. Trapezing out is kind of a requirement when sailing solo. You limit yourself to about 20 m/h of winds if you are of normal weight. With more wind you just need the extra weight.

Sheets... most people who sail solo come up with some creative way to make the jib sheet accessible from the wire. Splitting the continues line in two portions and loosely securing the ends to crew's trap wire works well. Some sailors might come up with ways to have the traveler (jib / main) control lines accessible from the wire as well.

Capsizing and trapping out... generally not a problem to unhook. Depending how low you hang from the wire you can actually stay hooked in while capsizing. You should just try to avoid falling in the sail. Capsizing happens generally pretty slow.
Pitch poling is a different story - no time to unhook there. If you do not lose the dog bone by accident, you will probably take the trap wire with you on the way forward.

Tacking... someone who can tack a Hobie 14 should be able to tack about anything ;-). Just let the jib backwind for a short moment, when you feel that the boat has moved securely through the tack, release the jib on the old side and sheet in on the new side. Think about learning to roll tack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found the H16 to be very easy to solo... once you do it a few times. Tacking on the 16 is substantially easier than on the 14. Like Patrick said, keep the jib backwinded until the main battens "pop" across. When this happends, let the main out a few inches then bring the jib over. Don't use any abrupt rudder movements.

If you search this forum for tacking you will find a plethora of information.

Good luck!

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The jib is the tricky one. I set it just snug and forget it once out on the trapeze (do to lack of enough hands), but the jib can be the death nell in heavier air. Even with two aboard, we've blown over in big puffs from not uncleating the jib soon enough.

It's difficult for me to keep my head "out of the boat", to look for the gusts that are coming, but in doing so makes soloing the 16 more "relaxing" by giving myself some advance warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice everyone. A couple more questions from a novice sailor...

What exactly is meant by keeping the jib 'backwinded'?

When trapezing, do you put your feet on the top of the hulls or on the crossbars?

Thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Backwinding the jib is when the clew is on the windward side of the mast. Basically, when you tack as you come across the wind just leave the jib alone. It is now backwinded. This helps push the bows around.

Put your feet wherever you feel comfortable. I usually keep mine on the rail as it is more comfortable for me.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

16's turn like trucks. Never slam the rudders all the way, it's like slamming on the brakes. Fluid turns, trying to maintain momentum. I leave the jib cleated. As I am waiting to come across the wind I sheet my main out about a foot. When I come across the wind, I'll uncleat the jib and recleat on the other side. pull in your main and off you go. In heavy, tricky winds it is easy to go into irons and sometimes you are actually stopped and need to flip the rudders in the opposite direction and go in reverse to get the wind on the other side. You will understand what I mean when you are close to big rocks tacking in heavy winds. This small tip has saved my arse many a time.