Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess I should up grade my mailsheet and blocks. Sounds like 40mm or 57mm Harken's for most people. What diameter main sheet and what length? 8) Should mention that this is a 1981 boat and I probably won't race it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Running 6:1 on 40mm or 57mm blocks, you run 3/8 sheet at 46" if you're going to trapeze. Check page 20 in the Murry's catalogue.
I just upgraded mine but I spliced the sheet. 20' of 3/8 and the rest 1/2." Makes it a lot easier to hold.
Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DavidBell47 wrote:
Running 6:1 on 40mm or 57mm blocks, you run 3/8 sheet at 46" if you're going to trapeze. Check page 20 in the Murry's catalogue.
I just upgraded mine but I spliced the sheet. 20' of 3/8 and the rest 1/2." Makes it a lot easier to hold.
Happy Sailing,

David

Sorry........ Murry's catalogue? Ah, got it. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am currently running the main sheet back through the traveler in one continueous line. Is that a good way to go or should there be 2 separate lines.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

747pilot wrote:
DavidBell47 wrote:
Happy Sailing,

David

SOOOO....... are you saying 46" of 3/8" spliced into 20' of 1/2"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry Pilot,

I meant 46' instead of 46". I can't see in the dark. :lol: A lot of sailors run 3/8 straight through but I have large hands and holding 3/8" sometimes feels like kite string. I don't know if there should be two separete lines (because I run the other end through the traveler like you) but I use two. I tie the main sheet (spliced 3/8" to 1/2") to the travler sheet (3/8") at rigging time. I have different lengths (also different color) of traveler sheet, depending on whether I anticipate on trapezing or not. It makes everything real simple at rigging time. Are you confused now ? ? ? Well, I'm confused just explaining that. :?

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DavidBell47 wrote:
Sorry Pilot,

I meant 46' instead of 46". I can't see in the dark. :lol: A lot of sailors run 3/8 straight through but I have large hands and holding 3/8" sometimes feels like kite string. I don't know if there should be two separete lines (because I run the other end through the traveler like you) but I use two. I tie the main sheet (spliced 3/8" to 1/2") to the travler sheet (3/8") at rigging time. I have different lengths (also different color) of traveler sheet, depending on whether I anticipate on trapezing or not. It makes everything real simple at rigging time. Are you confused now ? ? ? Well, I'm confused just explaining that. :?

Happy Sailing,

David

I THINK I got it. Thanks muchly. :D So what kind (brand) of line did you use? And what kind of splice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pilot,

A good source of line info

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/?Page=2169

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

John,

Thanks, nice link!