Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Launching from a hoist
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody aware of a bridle (either to buy or a design to make my own) to be used in launching my Hobie 16 from a chain hoist?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi there, I used to launch my 84 h16 from the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center over a 25 foot sea wall on Lake Michigan. I had to fabricate a harness in order to do so and though it took a while to perfect, it worked well.

First you need a fatty locking carabiner. (it does not need to be rediculously strong, but must hold the boat duh and locking is pretty essential.

Next you need four lengths of high quality sailing rope (each about 3 feet long).

Next you want fat, strong and tight 1.5 or 2" webbing that is used for strapping stuff on trailers or something. You need four lengths of about 3 feet. Tie loops on both ends of each length so you can put one through the other.

Loop these around each corner of each hull so they tighten on the hulls neer the tramp castings. Tie the ropes to the free ends. Make loops for the other ends to put in your carabiner. Clip the carabiner to your hoist chain and pull her up!! Test the system.... make adjustments, etc.

Just some notes... make the nose hang a little lower (bow down) so the mast hangs away from the crane! Make sure the boat is well balanced.
Color coordinate lines and strapping in order to know how to string it all up.
THIS IS CRITICAL!!

Make sure your carabiner is high enough off the tramp so the center of gravity is BELOW the attachment point. If you are not careful here, the boat wil flip on the crane!!!

I hope this all works out for you and let me know if you have any more questions at [email protected]... also... way to have big cahunas for launching off the crane, haha.

Peace,
Orion