Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone on this forum ever drop their tiller extension in the water while jibing ? I was sailing solo this week-end in 20+ winds. I’ve been jibing since I’ve been sailing (I’ve only been sailing a year) but have always jibed to port. Yesterday, I found the need to jibe to starboard. I must’ve gotten disoriented during the process because I could not get the tiller extension around the mail sheet in time enough to be on the windward side of the boat by the time it changed tacks. Usually, I just pull the main across with one hand while swinging the tiller around it. Well, you know the story.

My question is, in those instances when your timing is off in getting the tiller to the other side, does anyone here ever practice dropping it in the water so that they can get to the windward side of the boat in time? Don’t get me wrong. The swim was nice and refreshing. I just want to improve on my sailing skills. Would appreciate any advice.

Thank,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got an idea for you called "pre-setting" the tiller extension prior to jibing. Essentially, it involves laying the extension along the cross bar in the direction of what will be the new leward side. I'll show it to you this weekend!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We normally teach our students to 'throw away' the stick, as in throw it in the water behind the boat, and steer using the tiller cross bar.

Once through the tack or the gybe, pick it up on the other side and carry on.

My wife likes to show off, and 'hands' herself the stick, going around the mainsheets to do so. So dainty and elegant. But then she never liked sailing when the wind was howling.

Downloaded a bunch of videos, (thanks Hobie Forum,) onto the laptop, and showed to the newest bunch of students. They loved it, and can't wait to get on the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey John,
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna work on that.

Hey Gato,
Are you going to be at the Claremont on Saturday or am I going to have to tow my boat all the way to OC just to get a lesson ???

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You should work on handing yourself the tiller.
In heavy wind it can be tough to get it back once it's dragging and your trying to stear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pat, you have more sailing miles than I have eaten corn flakes for breakfast.

Your advice to 'hand' the stick to oneself is well taken, and we will introduce changes to our students after they have graduated from CAT 101. We find for most 'beginning' cat sailors, there is too much going on and it happens very fast for them, but we will 'steer them in the right direction.'

thanks, and good winds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

John: I shortened a stock stick so that my daughter could hand it over.
The standard length or a hot stick is to heavy for kids to transfer easy.
I dropped my tiller during last years nationals in some decent wind and waves and the tiller ended up stuck under a rudder. That is no fun. Try to hold it at all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Handing myself the tiller is usually what I do, between pulling the main to the opposite side. It's just that this time I was jibing on a tack that I wasn't use to (there was a big windshift at 20+) and I became disoriented. It didn't happen as smoothly as it use to. Just that little bit of time was too much. I think I was rushng. Usually, I take my time and sail directly downwind until the change is made then move to the new side before completing the jibe. I did learn to always look at the wind-ex and not the beach for my wind reference.

Anyway, thanks guys for all your help. I thought I was finished going for a swim on such simple manuervers but I guess not.

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From one of my co-trainers, in reply to my broadcast below:

"This is a good point, I usually throw the stick away during both jibes and tacks but when the weather is very bad and you miss a tack then you better watch out because the stick can foul the bottom as the boat moves backwards. A mechanisum for clipping the stick to the bar would allow the stick to be out of the way, be picked up easily after the tack or jibe, and avoid the fouling problems that can sometimes occour. It shouldnt be difficult to make something that works.
Handing yourself the stick during foul weather is asking for trouble, as the blocks can fly into your face or mouth with unfortunate consequence."
Regards,
Peter G.

----- Original Message -----
To: Trainers

Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 12:17 PM
Subject: Hot stick handling

Suggested changes from Fleet 204, please forward to students.

We START by training the students to ‘throw away’ the tiller extension, that is, throw it away behind the boat just before a turn, then pick it up afterwards.

That is fine for beginners. My suggestion is that once they have the ‘feel’ for turning, and they know what is happening, then they should learn to ‘hand the stick’ to themselves, see this thread. I too, have had a hot-stick get stuck under a rudder in high winds.

Keep thepointy end up.

Post subject: passing the tiller
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is another option. I am a passer but you can flip the tiller around and set it on the oppposite corner casting too. This works surprisingly well unless a rouge wave comes by and knocks it off. But then you are no worse then if you throw it in the water and have to fish for it.

If you are having a class you can try all three and see what works best for newbies.

cheers
Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey! I'll be showing up at Claremont sometime about 8:30 - 9:00 on Saturday morning. I'd like to get in some sailing time before lunch and then afterwards as well. The wife will be along as well as (hopefully) a couple of friends who will want to take a ride.

We can either go out on your boat or mine to show you the "pre-setting" manuver. It's really simple and, based on your descriptions about your jibing experience, should match up perfectly with your style of going about things. You NEVER lose touch with the extension, yet there is none of the "passing-it-around" the mainsheet which could really mess you up in high winds. No downsides that I can think of, though I've never raced seriously using the technique and there might be some drawbacks I haven't experienced.

The pre-setting is the way we teach the newbies to jibe Hobies at UCLA and most, if not all continue using the technique as they advance in the classes. See you there tomorrow!

Gato

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Velcro should work, my 16 has the soft (loop) velcro wrapped around the tiller near the end and you can tell that the hard (hook) velcro was glued to to both ends of the cross bar at one point... The velcro woud hold the tiller to the cross bar and it would be easy to retrieve after a jibe/tack...