Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Throwable PFD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On a 16 ft boat or greater, isn't it required to carry a throwable pfd in addition to the one for each person on board? I can't seem to find anything on this... I have searched several banks of pictures and don't see a thowable on the tramp or anywhere else. When I have raced, the other h16's didn't put a throwablel pfd on their boat, so I just followed what they did. If you're putting a throwable pfd on your H16, where do you put it to stay out of the way?

Thanks for the info.
Harry

Post subject: Re: Throwable PFD
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Harry wrote:
On a 16 ft boat or greater, isn't it required to carry a throwable pfd in addition to the one for each person on board? I can't seem to find anything on this... I have searched several banks of pictures and don't see a thowable on the tramp or anywhere else. When I have raced, the other h16's didn't put a throwablel pfd on their boat, so I just followed what they did. If you're putting a throwable pfd on your H16, where do you put it to stay out of the way?

Thanks for the info.
Harry

Harry,

to answer your questions, the Coast Guard does require the throwable on boats over 16 foot. I personally dont always carry one on my 16, but when I do, I tie it to the mast step link to get it out of the way.

The Skier
1973 H16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is a Friday afternoon, 5 o'clock question to ponder.

If you are solo sailing on a boat over 16ft do you need a throwable PFD?
Throwing the PFD to yourself doesn't seem to be a likely scenario. Hmmm, maybe Steven Wright has an answer for that one. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:23 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

According to the Coast Guard regs:

"All recreational boats must carry one Type I, II, III or V PFD (wearable) for each person aboard. For Type V PFDs to be counted they must be used according to their label requirements. Any boat 16ft and longer (except canoes and kayaks) must also carry one Type IV (throwable) PFD."

However, the Coast Guard does not have jurisdiction over all waters. Inland lakes may by under the Army Corps of Engineers or state regulations.

The singlehanded issue is kind of moot. The person in the water doesn't have to be from the boat the PFD is thrown from. Actually, it's about the only assistance a singlehanded boat can provide to someone in the water.

When I've carried a throwable on my 16, I usually tie it under the tramp, through the lacings, just behind the mast. It keeps it out of the way, although it might have a tough time meeting the CG requirement that it be "immediately accessible."

On the other hand, I've almost never carried one when racing, either on the 16 or my 17. Nobody in a uniform has ever hassled me.