Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lets see it...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My turn...

new to Hobie 16 sailing and it's had been ~20 years since sailing in the past. The sailing Boy Scout merit badge was probably one of the few I ever earned.

Anyways, with the help of the Fleet 297 in Clinton, KS, I got an 84 with Carumba sails. The hulls were in great shape, and as one has mentioned, looks like little use in all of those years...still has the original rudder cams. My wife and I have sailed is a few times over the last few weeks, and really enjoyed the fellowship in the club...having someone that knows what they are doing to help is such a great thing.
so if I can get the image thing to work correctly...

Doug...aka Aye Carumba.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

An older cat with some tired old sails, skipper and fresh crew on a warm October high wind advisory day. Still restoring and making her ship shape. Other than a couple of knots coming loose we did pretty good. Last week was its second time out under my helm. We lost the tramp and had to replace it. Here she is with the new tramp. It seems while we were out we caught the worst of the wind but make it back to the shore's lee. Ah yes, this is the Merrimack River in Newburyport and we got to practice our righting skill after a particularly surprising gust. It was Travis' second time out and my daughter Julia's third sail. Any idea what year this Hobie is?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just picked up a new 2012 boat a few weeks ago. Got to take it out of the box and put it together at the dealer's shop. This is the newest boat my family has bought since 1985. Everything for us started in 1974. Its so nice to upgrade from the 1983 to the 2012 boat. I had to sell a 16 and a 17 to make room for this new one.

Got the new hot tamale sails. They apparently were just made on 9/11/13. I have yet to see a 114XXX sail number yet.

Went ahead and got tons of accessories to go with it. Deluxe sail bag, rudder covers, comptip cover, power pack, hot stick, and a new trailex trailer. Still looking for some nice covers for it. Might looking into making some if I can find the time.

Its like hitting the reset button with a new boat. Our old one is showing its age and can't seem to hang with the new boats. Its got some soft spots and the frame is pretty loose. But its still strong and fun to sail. On top of it has been around for all this time. The new boats seem to be built better so no telling how long it will last now.

Still going to keep our old boat as a play boat. Something to go thrash around and load up with people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ConnorG, awesome! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gonna say early to mid 1970's

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer wrote:
gonna say early to mid 1970's

Thanks! With a low sail number I suspect it is early as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hogwldfltr wrote:
Any idea what year this Hobie is?

Mid '70s to early '80s is all I can say. Doesn't have the original mast step hook but still has reef points and bent tiller arms. A couple of thoughts:

1) the line from the jib halyard block should go down around the block at the bottom of the mast, back up through the halyard block and to the cleat so you get 3:1 purchase.

2) give yourself some downhaul in that wind!

3) remove the boom vang fitting before someone's head gets sliced open. Grind the rivet heads off and pry the fitting off the boom.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hogwldfltr wrote:

Based on sail colors, it is 1973 Red/Gold.

See

http://fleet297.org/PDFs/H16_Sail_Patterns.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ConnorG wrote:
Just picked up a new 2012 boat a few weeks ago. Got to take it out of the box and put it together at the dealer's shop. This is the newest boat my family has bought since 1985. Everything for us started in 1974. Its so nice to upgrade from the 1983 to the 2012 boat. I had to sell a 16 and a 17 to make room for this new one.

Got the new hot tamale sails. They apparently were just made on 9/11/13. I have yet to see a 114XXX sail number yet.

Went ahead and got tons of accessories to go with it. Deluxe sail bag, rudder covers, comptip cover, power pack, hot stick, and a new trailex trailer. Still looking for some nice covers for it. Might looking into making some if I can find the time.

Its like hitting the reset button with a new boat. Our old one is showing its age and can't seem to hang with the new boats. Its got some soft spots and the frame is pretty loose. But its still strong and fun to sail. On top of it has been around for all this time. The new boats seem to be built better so no telling how long it will last now.

Still going to keep our old boat as a play boat. Something to go thrash around and load up with people.

That looks like you got it from Key Sailing in Pensacola? Either way, Jealous!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer wrote:

Sure did. Kirk was very helpful. I wish I had talked to him sooner

I actually live in Helena, AL. Not far from T-town. Don't do much sailing around here though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ConnorG wrote:
sxrracer wrote:

Sure did. Kirk was very helpful. I wish I had talked to him sooner

I actually live in Helena, AL. Not far from T-town. Don't do much sailing around here though.

ok, Remember your 16 being for sale, you had a 17 also for sale right? Where do you normally sale. Only a few Cats here in Tuscaloosa, 88 16 is the newest!!!!!!!!!! I get out every week or so at least once here at the lake. Bring your boat down one weekend. We have a great club to sail from. If there is decent wind!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You guys are gonna dig the new boat, Conner. Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sxrracer wrote:

ok, Remember your 16 being for sale, you had a 17 also for sale right? Where do you normally sale. Only a few Cats here in Tuscaloosa, 88 16 is the newest!!!!!!!!!! I get out every week or so at least once here at the lake. Bring your boat down one weekend. We have a great club to sail from. If there is decent wind!

Yeah, sold one of the 16's and the 17. Both guys are kinda local. The guy that bought the 16 emailed me yesterday saying he broke his hand while stepping the mast awhile back. Somehow some rivets let go and something broke and landed on his hand in some way. I've tried to get them down to some races.

Normally we are sailing in Mobile or Ocean Springs. It would be nice to find a place local to take the boat out on a windy day. Lakes can be kinda funny though. I know the ball is kinda rolling on bringing a race back to lake Logan Martin called Cat Caper. Not sure where that is in the planning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dont know if your interested, our club has yearly dues of around $350.00. Mast Up Boat Yard, Clubhouse, Pavilion, Showers, Camping..... That all you pay. Might be worth it, heck, even to just bring your old boat, that way no trailering and rigging each time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

AntonLargiader wrote:
hogwldfltr wrote:

Mid '70s to early '80s is all I can say. Doesn't have the original mast step hook but still has reef points and bent tiller arms. A couple of thoughts:

1) the line from the jib halyard block should go down around the block at the bottom of the mast, back up through the halyard block and to the cleat so you get 3:1 purchase.

2) give yourself some downhaul in that wind!

3) remove the boom vang fitting before someone's head gets sliced open. Grind the rivet heads off and pry the fitting off the boom.

The jib sheet is normally correctly rigged however the photo was taken on a rather windy day on the second time out on the boat. The knot securing the jib to the block came loose and my crew managed to kind of re-rig it. We were coming in to correctly rig it. Regarding the boom vang fitting, good idea, thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 461 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next