Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:23 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am
Posts: 6
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and hobie 16 sailing. I purchased an old Hobie 16 (probably 1991) and have an issue with the mast step and base. After inserting a teflon bush inside the mast step and rigging the mast, the mast does not rotate freely. I first thought I was over-tensioning the jib, but even when the sails are off I struggle to rotate it. I then discovered that the stops on the mast step are digging into the base? Has anybody seen this before? It seems as if the ball on the mast base is too small or worn out, putting the mast in a lower position than usual.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:01 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 11143
Location: Oceanside, California
Do you have a mast chip in there? Should be a bearing material which also raises the mast slightly. That and some additional mast rake would help.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:09 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 10:33 am
Posts: 489
Location: Clinton, Mississippi
What the heck are those extra (SS?) bits in there? Added by the previous owner? Might be (at least adding to) your problem?

_________________
Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:39 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:27 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Central Oregon
Agreed...you need a new step and base...someone has ghetto fabbed that one.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

_________________
1980 H16


Last edited by hobiesrock on Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:51 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am
Posts: 6
Thanks guys. Appreciate the comments. Will be lowering the mast to take a close look. But I recon I'll be replacing both the step and base pretty soon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 3033
Location: Jersey Shore
Definitely not stock. It looks like the original stops wore out and the PO rebuilt them with some stainless pins/bolts.

I bet the stainless parts actually would do a good job and hold up better than original. The only problem appears to be that the pins they put in the mast step are too tall and are digging into the mast base. I would just take an angle grinder to the step and knock it down 1/16" - 1/8" so there's enough clearance and see how it works. That would be a lot easier than replacing the mast base & step.

sm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am
Posts: 6
srm wrote:
Definitely not stock. It looks like the original stops wore out and the PO rebuilt them with some stainless pins/bolts.

I bet the stainless parts actually would do a good job and hold up better than original. The only problem appears to be that the pins they put in the mast step are too tall and are digging into the mast base. I would just take an angle grinder to the step and knock it down 1/16" - 1/8" so there's enough clearance and see how it works. That would be a lot easier than replacing the mast base & step.

sm



Great Idea. Thanks. My other concern is why the step and base are so close to each other? I've had a look at others and the gap on theirs is definitely much larger. Even after trimming the SS, the two castings still seem to want to interfere once rigged.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 11143
Location: Oceanside, California
jonathan.olivier wrote:
Great Idea. Thanks. My other concern is why the step and base are so close to each other? I've had a look at others and the gap on theirs is definitely much larger. Even after trimming the SS, the two castings still seem to want to interfere once rigged.


Once again... do you have a bearing (Mast Chip) in place in the cup? It should have a disk of teflon in there. That raises the mast a bit too.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am
Posts: 6
mmiller wrote:
jonathan.olivier wrote:
Great Idea. Thanks. My other concern is why the step and base are so close to each other? I've had a look at others and the gap on theirs is definitely much larger. Even after trimming the SS, the two castings still seem to want to interfere once rigged.


Once again... do you have a bearing (Mast Chip) in place in the cup? It should have a disk of teflon in there. That raises the mast a bit too.


Yes. Its in


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 11143
Location: Oceanside, California
Your cup and or base may also be worn to the point that they need more (thicker) bearing in there.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:01 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Clearwater, FL
You might also consider raking your mast back some by using the next lower hole on both of your shroud chain plates. This will create a larger gap at the front of your mast base/step.

_________________
Tim
82' H16
Sail # 88863
Clearwater, FL
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:47 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am
Posts: 6
mmiller wrote:
Your cup and or base may also be worn to the point that they need more (thicker) bearing in there.


I suspect that much. Will try a thicker one and see how it goes. Thanks for the advise


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:46 am
Posts: 6
Tim H16 wrote:
You might also consider raking your mast back some by using the next lower hole on both of your shroud chain plates. This will create a larger gap at the front of your mast base/step.


I can't see how that will help at this point. The photos you see are without the jib attached, so the mast is already as far back as it will go, and its still interfering. But I think I'll try the thicker bushing and trimming of the SS and see how it goes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 11143
Location: Oceanside, California
You need a longer forestay. Add an additional 7 or 10 hole adjuster to get the mast back if the shrouds can go lower...

The basic rake idea is to have the main blocks nearly touch when sheeted hard... If you have low profile blocks you can rake further aft. This keeps the bows up and helps the boat sail to weather better. Your mast looks nearly vertical based on the pictures. New boats look like the mast is falling over / aft.

Image

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:06 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:43 pm
Posts: 96
I did this to help with my rotation and the bearing was always wearing thru, put in a new bearing, raise the mast, rotate it, lower the mast and cut out the center of the bearing about the size of a nickel, put that in first then a new bearing on top. Now mine doesn't wear thru, and rotation is great, almost to easy if that's possible, I had to learn to be more careful on a gybe it moved so much better.

But I agree with the others, trim the studs down and rake, that really makes a great difference in the boat, or replace it when you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group