Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 mast has water
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I took down my Hobie 16 mast yesterday for trailering and water came out (a slow drip for about 10 minutes, so not much). The orientation of the mast is what you might expect on a trailer. I stepped it, then walked the base of the mast forward and rested it on the trailer cradle. the top of the mast was sitting on the rear cross bar and lower. Therefore the water came out of the metal portion of the mast (not the comp tip).

The mast has been standing for over 2 years, and I have yet to capsize or turtle the boat. I can only guess the water is morning condensation that infiltrated.

Let me know your thoughts on the source?

and if the water inside could have corroded or otherwise damaged the mast.

and any recommendations on plugging.

Another question: is there a recommended orientation for trailering the mast, and if so, why?

Thanks!
Ted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure if the following helps in your case since you mentioned the comptip.
Here in the UK the H16 mast are all Aluminium from top to bottom.

However I had the strangest situation with regards to water in the mast.
Last season I had my first and only capsize, on holiday in France, fortunately I had a float on the end of the mast, well it took three of us to right the boat. Myself and two nice kayakers that came to my rescue, I thought hang-on thats not right.
Two days later I stripped the boat down ready to transport back to Blighty and on de-masting I noticed a swooshing about with in the mast.
The thing is no water would come out, in the end I drilled a pilot hole at the bottom so as to drain it, it took ages to drain so it must have been pretty full and that would explain the problem with righting the boat.

Two weeks ago I thought I would sort it out, so laid the mast under water let go and it kept floating, dunking under, no bubbles nothing.
No leak was detected, I was like how can this be?
The only assumption I have made is that the mast only leaks when under tension, when the mainsail is rigged, what the heck?
So I decided to pop the rivets holding the masthead, silkaflex'd around the rubber plug (that had deteriorated over the years and replace the rivets of the halyard swage plate. But before doing so I gave it a blast with some expanding foam through the lower rivet hole of the halyard swage plate in the hope it would expand and seal around 12 inches of the top of the mast.

Re-attached the halyard swage plate with coating of sikaflex sealant and re-riveted with SS rivets and the same with mast head.
The mast still floats have yet to test under tension.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
SRG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had this problem on my 1989 H16 with a comp tip. I suspect the joint between the comp tip and aluminum bottom. My mast developed quite a bit of flex there over time until I reset the comp tip this spring. I would put marine silicone all around that joint, and I suppose that slowed it down. At one point I was caulking around the sheave cap on top until I removed that one day and found it was sealed inside. I was told by someone at Hobie that there have been reports about the comp tip mysteriously absorbing water standing on the beach night after night, and the recommendation was to remove the plastic luff track and spread some resin along the mast seam under there. I did not do that, so I don't know. I actually drilled a small hole in the bottom of my mast, about 2" up from the base, tapped it and inserted a small set screw wrapped in teflon tape so I could remove that screw and drain water if I had to, then replace the screw so there is no air vent to speed filling the mast if I dump the boat and there really is a leak at top. Every spring I replace the silicone around the mast tang and halyard hook as part of the first day chores. I never had more than a cup of water in the mast at one time, and lately it's been dry. So, in all I have shared experience and no firm solution, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone have an exploded view of the comp tip? This would allow me to remove the plastic luff track.

Thanks!
Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive ... 584001.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:50 am 
Site Admin

The Hobie 16 track look a bot different, but same concept.