Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reinstalling "SAIL TRAX"
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone have the installation instructions for the SAIL TRAX, ( the two little plates that help lead the luff of the sail into the luff track), that is sold by Hobie? Or is there a web site that may have the instructions ? I removed the one from my old mast and would like to put it on my new mast. The screws that I took out have a flat tip so I would also need to know what size of bit to use to drill with.
Thanks,
John :? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

While your on Sail trax...does anyone have a problem with the luff falling out of the trax while raising your mast or get caught in and have to drop the main and start over. I've used the silicone type spray which seems to help, but flip over so often I think it washes off. Is my sail just played, it's in good shape beside the luff line edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I meant to say raising the main instead of the mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try pinching the feeder a little. This should help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Banana,

Most sailors I know that have had this problem were trying to raise the sail with the boom attached. If this is your situation too, try raising the sail without the boom. Also, try making sure that there is no pinch in the angle of the sail as it relates to the luff track. Nobody goes in the water more than me but I can still get my sail up. :lol:

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey John,

There is nothing available on the market today that is the same as the old sail trax (unfortunate because they work quite well). I think I know what trax you're referring to (the stainless plates with the dimple, one for each side of the mast? two screws for each plate). I had them on my '81 I bought brand new.

I'd use masking tape and put both sides on about 3/4" below the very top of the track opening, eyeball it and when satisified mark holes and drill. Make sure the dimples aren't too close together or the bolt rope wont easily slide past them. For hardware I'd use S/S self tapping with a dab of silicone on each.

Now, all that said, no one uses sail guides any more. Just make sure there are no sharp edges in the track entry point and if there are clean up with a file. But...how many sails have you seen with the cloth torn in the first panel at the bolt rope, undoubtably from ATTENTION drawn away FROM feeding the sail into the track TO yanking on the halyard to get the last two feet of sail up :x

Post subject: made template
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went ahead and made a template by doing a pencil rubbing of the area and holes off my old mast. I never have had any problem raising the sail using the sail trax on my old mast, I always just pushed the bolt rope toward the mast and it went in. I also used the bolt rope lube "fastrac" sold by Hobie- it worked very well. I guess I will just see what drill bit will fit in the holes in the old mast- slightly smaller I suppose.
Thanks for all the help.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Eaton wrote:
Now, all that said, no one uses sail guides any more.

John: Thanks for the tip. About all I've accomplished with my 6:1 downhaul so far is that I tore the mainsail clew when the luff rope got hung on the sail feeder. I'm gonna remove the feeder and see how it goes.

Matt & Matt: Would y'all agree that most people don't use sail feeders? When I first started sailing an old H-16 (like most folks), the mainsail/luff, mast, etc. were pretty beat up, and the feeder seemed a necessity. I'm guessing it won't be so with the newer rig I have now.

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think a lot of the whole hoisting issue is the technique for raising the last bit of main sail. So many people have the misconception it just takes more muscle, when in fact the scooch pull, scooch pull, method Matt M describes in FAQ is the right way to do it. The old trax, bananahead described, would make raising the majority of the sail a one man job. Attention needs to be paid to the feeding and hoisting of the last bit, with or without a "trax". It seems the sail hangs up a little easier on the newer style trax and this feature probably was put on the mast as a result of complaints from new owners', in a big hurry, that ripped their new sails.

You're going to have to be careful, and I feel the potential for damage is less without the newer, OEM, sailfeeder installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've taken the feeder off every boat that I've owned (that would be 5 16's, a 17 and 2 14's). One of the first things I do.

I don't even remember if one came on my '98 . . . . :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks again for the info, all!

Jerome Vaughan
Hobie 16
Clinton, Mississippi